[help] FIrst custom IEM
May 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

davidthepark

New Head-Fier
Im finally decided to get myself a pair of IEMs....
But, like almost everyone before getting anything, I dont know which one to get..

Im not the biggest audiophile but I love and appreciate good sound/music
The music I listen to is mostly current mainstream pop songs, ballad, kpop songs, etc.
I dont listen to heavy metal, rock, etc.

I do not and will not use a headphone amp

I used to own a Shure SE215.

Any suggestions??

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 14
First off http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-26-reviews-um-pp6-added-3-12-13

You can refer to this page for various information about customs.

Secondly, this new article has recently been released. I would definitely recommend checking it out. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

Also, what budget are you looking at. Because, the CIEM market is pretty diverse in prices from as low as $200 to as high as $2000. Knowing this will make it easier for us to recommend customs.

May 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
First off http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-26-reviews-um-pp6-added-3-12-13

You can refer to this page for various information about customs.

Secondly, this new article has recently been released. I would definitely recommend checking it out. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

Also, what budget are you looking at. Because, the CIEM market is pretty diverse in prices from as low as $200 to as high as $2000. Knowing this will make it easier for us to recommend customs.

My budget is under 1k.
Im looking at JH audio, Westone, Unique Melody but Im happy to get more suggestions

May 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

The music I listen to is mostly current mainstream pop songs, ballad, kpop songs, etc.
I dont listen to heavy metal, rock, etc.

How do you like your bass, mids, and treble distributed with your music? 

Also, refering back to the 24 CIEM review, it seems that the new JH13 might be a great all-rounder. 

May 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
How do you like your bass, mids, and treble distributed with your music? 

Also, refering back to the 24 CIEM review, it seems that the new JH13 might be a great all-rounder. 

Im really looking at JH13, ES5, and the Miracle.

I don't need too much bass but I still want to feel the "emph"
Which of the 3 is more comfortable? Seeing the 24 CIEM review made me more sure that I should get one out of the three but dont know which...
Help =(

May 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Im really looking at JH13, ES5, and the Miracle.

I don't need too much bass but I still want to feel the "emph"
Which of the 3 is more comfortable? Seeing the 24 CIEM review made me more sure that I should get one out of the three but dont know which...
Help =(

ES5 for comfort, plenty of impact and bass slam never harsh, very forgiving of crappy recordings.

JH13 for amazing imaging, clarity, and coherence, but a bit "V" shaped.

Miracle for classical and acoustic purists...the bass on the JH13s might bug critical listeners a bit.

May 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
ES5 for comfort, plenty of impact and bass slam never harsh, very forgiving of crappy recordings.

JH13 for amazing imaging, clarity, and coherence, but a bit "V" shaped.

Miracle for classical and acoustic purists...the bass on the JH13s might bug critical listeners a bit.

Basically all I listen to is pop, kpop, ballad, acoustic covers....
what would fit me the best?

(PS Im not a singer so will not use these on a stage or anyhting)

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 14
I ended up with a pair of JH Audio 10 x3 Pro true 3-way crossover as my budget custom.  I auditioned the JH6, JH7 and JH11 all of which had their issues in my mind especially the ones with 2-way crossever.  Listening to Maroon 5 was horrid on a 2-way, but the 3-ways did a much better job at separating the bass, mids, and treble.

I say whatever brand you go for make sure you go with a 3-way crossover.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Are you really sure you want to go for customs?

Have you taken a look at the ASG-2, the Fitear models, 1p2 or all the other top-tier universal IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back