help finding portable similar to K450?
Apr 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hobohodou

New Head-Fier
I need a little help. Payday has hit..and last week the cable on my K450 started to die...not so much of a problem as I have a few headphones as backup but I love the K450.
The only problem with the K450 is..the cable is not so easy to find and thomann.de sell one...with a minimum order price of £25 then with £10 shipping...it would seem a little silly for me to stock up on 5 cables just to get one for the moment....

Right now using the K171's with a ZuneHD with no amp...they provide really nice isolation but lack in bass (most likely because I have no amp)

What i'm looking for is a portable/IEM similar to the K450 which has a cable that you can replace (but easy to find or cheap so that when money is tight you can still justify the cost!)
Isolation is very very important...most of my listening is done while on public transport and I listen 2+ hours a day with traffic/engine noises...which is why I loved the K450's
Bass is nice as I got used to the K450's bass...which made moving back the K171's unamped so hard to get used to...Mainly listen to Tool/UNKLE a lot...so rock/metal/electronic/classical
doesn't need to sound 100% like the K450's or other AKG headphones...willing to try another sound signature and be surprised!
I sound incredibly cheap...but I'm looking for an investment in another portable that has a replaceable cable.

Thinking that a new portable may be a great idea for now as from what i've heard many of the 55ohms+ AKG headphones that I have do not work well with a cheap amplifier (Fiio e5 etc)

overall have about £100 to spend! but must be able to be found in the UK
most important thing is the ability to replace the cable or to swap it out

Many many thanks for any help and suggestions !

Edit : seen the IEM Super-fi 3 studio and the cost seems great along with a replacement cable...but no idea if these fit what i'm looking for but if I went for IEM's something like this seems the closest

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Call Harman at 01728 746 500 and talk to them. As far as I know one should not cost you more than 12GBP per cable.

If you keep breaking them maybe it is a good idea to have a few spare one from thomann.de? Maybe you can resell them here on head-fi?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call Harman at 01728 746 500 and talk to them. As far as I know one should not cost you more than 12GBP per cable.

If you keep breaking them maybe it is a good idea to have a few spare one from thomann.de? Maybe you can resell them here on head-fi?

Thanks for the number! Just dialed it but closed for now...says that it's for kenwoodspares...but hopefully they should be able to help out with a cheaper quicker replacement...
also..the cable lasted me since december while being used every single day out and about...so not that bad considering how thin the cable feels ._.

Anyone else still know of anything similar to the K450 anyway or at least portables with a replaceable cable..I'm still interested in finding something similar : D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back