Help finding over-ear headphones with good positional audio mostly for Counter Strike
Dec 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mechabit

New Head-Fier
Hello - I have been browsing these forums for a few days now and have learned quite a bit about what I'm looking for. From what it seems most people recommend the ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900X for positional audio.

The only problem is looking at the 3D Wing Support it looks like (personally) it would be extremely uncomfortable and not hold on my head well. I've also haven't found info if anyone has modded it to include a normal strap at the top. Can someone recommend a pair of headphones for me?

- Under $300
- Over-ear design
- Great positional audio (mainly for playing Counter Strike)

Thanks =)

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 25
  Hello - I have been browsing these forums for a few days now and have learned quite a bit about what I'm looking for. From what it seems most people recommend the ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900X for positional audio.

The only problem is looking at the 3D Wing Support it looks like (personally) it would be extremely uncomfortable and not hold on my head well. I've also haven't found info if anyone has modded it to include a normal strap at the top. Can someone recommend a pair of headphones for me?

- Under $300
- Over-ear design
- Great positional audio (mainly for playing Counter Strike)

Thanks =)

I found that if you hold the wings down towards the cups, for long periods of time, the wings work better, on my ATH-A900X.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 25

Thank you for your reply and the tip. Do you have any other recommendations based on the criteria other than ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900X?

So far have not thought of something better, but still thinking on it.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 25
To elaborate, the positional audio does not need to be 100+% up to par compared to the the ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900X - I am just mainly concerned about the 3D Wing Support not being comfortable and would prefer something less proprietary.

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 25
  Does anybody know if the ATH-M50 would be a good choice? I'm kind of surprised no one has had suggestions so far..

The ATH-M50 is not considered a good choice for surround sound gaming.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 25

What evidence do you have to suggest that the ATH-M50 is a bad choice for surround sound gaming?

Lots of posts on Head-fi about the ATH-M50s not being that great for surround sound gaming
and none of the ATH-M50 owner's defending them (about the surround sound).

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 25
Because of massive bass and closed sound, M50 is not ideal for playing FPS.

AKG Q701, K702 and its variants will work very well. Try them.

Just in case you are not aware, those AKG headphones are open-aire and well leak the sound both in and out unlike closed headphones.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 25
How about the Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro 80 ohm)? I'm looking at Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide and it's been noted that "Positional accuracy is among very best" even though the bass is a bit bloated.

After some thought, I'm not using the headphones only for competitive gaming, so I think this might be a good choice for my daily gaming needs.

Thoughts?

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 25
  Because of massive bass and closed sound, M50 is not ideal for playing FPS.

AKG Q701, K702 and its variants will work very well. Try them.

Just in case you are not aware, those AKG headphones are open-aire and well leak the sound both in and out unlike closed headphones.

Awesome thank you so much. I'm taking a look into the AKG's, they seem very nice so far.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 25
I would recommend a pair of open headphones for the best soundstage (positioning). I have the DT 990s and they are great. The soundstage blows away closed headphones, although it is just ok for opens. But they have the best bass for open headphones. They come in 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions so you won't have to buy a new soundcard/amp if you don't want to. 

If you're not into that and only going to be using them for gaming, I would recommend a pair of Sennheisers. I own a few of their audiophile headphones and they sell gaming headsets that are open design and seem like they would sound just as good.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 25
  I would recommend a pair of open headphones for the best soundstage (positioning). I have the DT 990s and they are great. The soundstage blows away closed headphones, although it is just ok for opens. But they have the best bass for open headphones. They come in 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions so you won't have to buy a new soundcard/amp if you don't want to. 

If you're not into that and only going to be using them for gaming, I would recommend a pair of Sennheisers. I own a few of their audiophile headphones and they sell gaming headsets that are open design and seem like they would sound just as good.

I have been taking a close look at the DT 990s and they seem nice. Today (after my previous post) I read about differences between open and closed headphones so I can definitely say I'm looking for an open style.

Though after hours of searching (I kind of got myself lost for a while) I think the MDR-MA900's actually seem pretty promising and do what I need. They look like they hit the mark for comfort, gaming, immersion, and music so I may end up going with these.

My initial intentions were to get the "best headphones for fps gaming" but it seems I would be losing out in some area's by doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back