Help Finding New Set of Over the Ear
May 9, 2017 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jumiduss

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Currently trying to find a new pair of over the ear headphones and got tired of looking at all these websites that kept listing beats EVERYWHERE lol.
I've been using Sony MDR-7506 for a while after a recommendation from here, and am looking to step up to something a little more portable.

Features I'd like:
Bluetooth
Removable Jack
Quality similar/better than MDR 7506
No Amplifier Needed

Music Preferances:
Rock
Metal
Jazz
Funk
Rap
Classical
Everything Besides Country, R&B

Target Bands to really enjoy would be "Tool", to get that really meaty bass accented, Radiohead, and "The Books" for detail.

Target Price is Less than 600

Also, Band recommendations similar would also be cool!
Thanks guys

May 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 9
No need to spend that much for portable headphones. 200-300 should be fine.

What kind of signature are you looking for? Isolation standards?

There are too many headphones to list that match your criteria.

May 9, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 9
A really good option, for much less than 600 euros are the Fiil Diva Pro Wireless: https://www.audiophileon.com/news/fiil-diva-pro-review
Thanks for the response, after about 20 minutes of searching I've been reading multiple complaints about quality issues and customer service with the issues, I appreciate the reply though. If you have other thoughts I'm open.

No need to spend that much for portable headphones. 200-300 should be fine.

What kind of signature are you looking for? Isolation standards?

There are too many headphones to list that match your criteria.

To be frank I don't know anything about sound signatures. The best headphones I've heard have been the Sony I mentioned in the original post which have had a ton of praise, but are monitors, which I'd guess means they're balanced.

To be more specific I'd like well sounding portable headphones that fit over the ear. I'd like something I could do light work with around, but also take it on the street and not deal with the hassle of giant cords like the Sony I've been dealing with.
So if it has a cord something manageable/detachable.

I've been looking at the HiFiMAN HE‑400i and almost pulled the trigger. So maybe any help maybe in mid ranged wired headphones?

I can give more info. I know it's being generic.

May 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the response, after about 20 minutes of searching I've been reading multiple complaints about quality issues and customer service with the issues, I appreciate the reply though. If you have other thoughts I'm open.

To be frank I don't know anything about sound signatures. The best headphones I've heard have been the Sony I mentioned in the original post which have had a ton of praise, but are monitors, which I'd guess means they're balanced.

To be more specific I'd like well sounding portable headphones that fit over the ear. I'd like something I could do light work with around, but also take it on the street and not deal with the hassle of giant cords like the Sony I've been dealing with.
So if it has a cord something manageable/detachable.

I've been looking at the HiFiMAN HE‑400i and almost pulled the trigger. So maybe any help maybe in mid ranged wired headphones?

I can give more info. I know it's being generic.
He400I sounds great but is an open headphone (sound leaks out and in)

Here are some of the most popular contenders):

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear
Meze 99 Classics
Sony MDR 1A
B&O H6
Audio Technica ATH MSR7

Personally I like the MSR7 the most.
The other three are pretty basy, especially the MDR 1A.

I have the MDR 7506 but haven't used them in ages sof I can't really remember how they sound, but all of the headphones I listed are a step up from the 7506.

Check out this thread for in depth analysis of the competition:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...top-closed-portable-headphones-around.672743/

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 9
The Meze 99's come with two cables one long one for desktop listening and a shorter one with IPhone controls for portable listening. They are pretty comfortable also if you don't have sensitive ear lobes as the inside of the driver cover will touch your ear but I could wear them for a hours with no discomfort. They are not real heavy and very stylish. Not for sure they are iPhone controls they just seem to stop the music no volume control.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 9
He400I sounds great but is an open headphone (sound leaks out and in)

Here are some of the most popular contenders):

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear
Meze 99 Classics
Sony MDR 1A
B&O H6
Audio Technica ATH MSR7

Personally I like the MSR7 the most.
The other three are pretty basy, especially the MDR 1A.

I have the MDR 7506 but haven't used them in ages sof I can't really remember how they sound, but all of the headphones I listed are a step up from the 7506.

Check out this thread for in depth analysis of the competition:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...top-closed-portable-headphones-around.672743/

Thanks for the reply!
I've been researching the thread you gave me for a couple hours now XD

I had a decent sized reply written when the page timed out and didn't save anything.
Short of it is thanks everyone and thanks Trunks for the link. It was extremely helpful and I hadn't come across it in the hour I spent looking through the forums here.

I ended up spending a little more for the Sine, basically from research it said they had the best quality and the only real drawback was the feel of them.

May 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the reply!
I've been researching the thread you gave me for a couple hours now XD

I had a decent sized reply written when the page timed out and didn't save anything.
Short of it is thanks everyone and thanks Trunks for the link. It was extremely helpful and I hadn't come across it in the hour I spent looking through the forums here.

I ended up spending a little more for the Sine, basically from research it said they had the best quality and the only real drawback was the feel of them.
Alright, glad I could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back