Help Finding Headphones
Jan 16, 2014 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SirJoz

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm new to those forums. I have read most of the rules sorry if I missed something.

So here's the situation: I know nothing about headphone, and I need help considering these conditions:

* I hear mostly electronic and rock music.
* on-ear headphones hurts my ears from the pressure after about an hour of hearing. (prefer over-ear headphones)
* money isn't really a problem.
* I hear a lot of music and in a couple of month going for a long backpack trip in the far east ( so i will keep safe talking about strong type)

* also it will be a really good plus if they aren't HUGE.

Thanks ahead for the help kind people of Head-Fi forums.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 7
  Sorry, Re-consider my price cap is 350$

SO audio gear works as... the sum of parts, meaning you want to invest a little into each part

for our budget I'd recommend getting a nice DAP and headphone.

I like teh Hifiman HM601 it can be purcahsed for around $125
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686403/hifiman-hm-601

There's an old add with one at that price $125-$150 is about average imo, I paid $125 for mine, great purchase :D

you could also try the Sanza Clip Zip with a Fiio E11, with something like a Sound Magic HP 100

better yet,

le me ask you some questions

do you need open or closed headphones
Isolation from sound, or will you be in a quiet enviorment

are you willing to carry multiple compenents, ie DAP Dac headphone, or would you prefer less [I carry a big DAP and Amp my self, each person has there limits of what's portable :3, I have big pocketed hoodies so I make due]

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 7
First of all thank you for replying.

So for your questions.

I don't really care about a leak of sound so I don't care much if it's open or closed.
I'm mostly in a quiet environment.

And I prefer not to carry more than my headphones and iphone (or music player).

So I'm really just looking for recommended over-ear headphones for that budget :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Here are some headphones I found that I like.. reviews are good but is any of those really better?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR-1R
Focal Spirit One
AKG Q701/2

Or if you have something better to recommend I would love to know.
Thanks

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 7
  Here are some headphones I found that I like.. reviews are good but is any of those really better?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR-1R
Focal Spirit One
AKG Q701/2

Thanks

Akg is a good choice as are all of them. I'd avoid the sony MDR 1R and ATh M50 they will be good for EDM but maybe not so much with Rock, depends on how much bass you like tbh

You could also try the Shure 440 or Shure 840, and get your self a Music player such from Cowon. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 7

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Sony MDR-1R

Focal Spirit One

AKG Q701/2

Thanks

I would avoid the Q701 if you do not plan to get an amp. They will work without an amp; you will hear sound. But they really need some kind of external amp (not necessarily an expensive one) to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back