help finding closed on ear headphones for rock and metal
Jul 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cj42

Head-Fier
hello

this is my first post here , but i've been reading a lot on these forums and others about what might be the best choice for me, but eventually i got caught in a dilemma , so i need your help.

what i need is a pair of on ear headphones that are closed and are good for rock and metal music. my budget is 135$ as max.
i read about the grados, other semi open headphones, and other over ear headphones that suite this kind of music, but thats not what i'm looking for.
i need something portable , and closed.

after my research i wanted the ath-es7 , but i couldn't find it anywhere except in ebay for 137$ including shipping (right on the edge of my budget) and its being shipped from japan , but i realized that the production of these headphones got discontinued so i started having some doubts about their authenticity. the seller is a top rated seller and he said its genuine and made in japan though.

another pair i found is the jvc ha-s500 , it costs 56$ including shipping from ebay (as i read, this is the standard cost for it and there have been no knock offs issues) .

i'll be using the headphones with my iphone / my computer (with on board sound card - nothing special). i always have used my iphone headphones to listen to music, i've never owned any expensive headphones.

what do you think i should get? does it worth paying more than twice the s500's price to get the es7?

if you got a better pair headphones to suggest, i'll be glad too

thanks

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Won't say better, since I have not tried many other closed phones, but I just bought the JVC HA-S400.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929876-REG/jvc_ha_s400_b_ha_s400_on_ear_headband_headphone_black.html

There have been a few reviews of the HA-S400 vs S500, with the S400 being preferred for rock. Links in first post http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses

Although so far I will say the sound isolation is not as good as the AKG K81DJ's that I had (although that could be due to the clamping force).  The K81DJ's were very tight on the head, the JVC's are comfortable.  

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the enlightenment :)
looks like i'm gonna buy them. do you know somewhere as cheap and reliable that ships to israel to buy from?
(the prices on ebay are higher than the link you provided) , or do you recommend a specific listing (seller) from ebay to buy these from?

thanks again

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 4
The JVC HA-S500 are great portable headphones, I paid $76 for my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal gray).
They should work great with any portable audio player (or iPhone).
For around $16 you can order difference ear pads (Leather of Velour, on eBay)) for the HA-S500.

You might consider spend $20 for a used Xonar DG internal sound card (sold on Amazon),
as it should work better at driving the HA-S500, then plugged the HA-S500 directly into the motherboard.
A Fiio E10, external USB/DAC/Amp. ($64) would also work and you would not need to open up the computer to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back