Help finding bassy cans for under $200
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rosseg

New Head-Fier
Budget: Sub $200 

Source: iPod, Laptop (Don't want cans that need an amp)

Isolation: Not needed, 

Preferred Type: Over-ear and closed. Relatively large soundstage would be an added bonus. I'd take a open or semi-open pair that doesn't leak too much.

Tonal Balance: Strong bass impact, clear mids and highs. Bass that doesn't drown out the mids and highs. (My JVC cans have made me addicted to a strong bass impact)

Music: All music, Although somewhat a basshead.

Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 201, JVC XX on-ear. The sennheisers were great for the price, but there wasn't anything special about them. The JVCs have sexy bass impact but are other wise mediocre.

More info: Preferably comfortable(My JVCs get uncomfortable and its an awful feeling). Don't want headphones that have a "boring" sound.

Interesting Headphones I've Seen:

- CAL! and CAL! 2 (don't know the differences)

- NVX XPT100 (heard they are very neutral and maybe boring but otherwise)

- ATH-M50 (heard that these are some of the clearest sounding on this list but worried about soundstage and comfort)

- Any sub 200$ Sennheiser cans (the selection is confusing)

- Superlux HD668b

- Beyerdynamic custom one pro

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
M50 has a very fun bass and treble response but it does have recessed mids. Otherwise I would also go with UE6000 but the bass is only emphasized because treble is recessed a lot. UE6000 is more comfortable. The superlux is going to have the best sound quality of all of them imo if you don't need a lot of bass though. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
There's a great Future Shop sale going on right now where the Sennheiser HD518s are only $79.99. Closed Sennheisers sound good, if somewhat muddy in the bass. But maybe that's just me. If you're worried about the thin headband of the UE cans, then you can forget about the CAL!s. Same goes for the XPT100s, although they sound great. The M50s have zero soundstage, but have a fun sound to them. Not the most balanced cans out there. I recommend the Superlux if you aren't a fan if the UE, although the Superlux aren't the best potables.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi,

Most people agree that AudioTechnica ATH WS-99 are one of the best bass headphones at their price point. You should read about them!

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back