Help finding a good pair of starter headphones
Jan 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spenr002

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of fairly good quality but not too expensive headphones. Somewhere in the range of $125 or less. I already own a pair of etymotic iem's so now I'm looking for a pair of headphones that can give more stage, and basically just more sound, as well as more comfort for longer listening.

So far my list is as follows:

Seinheiser px200-11i
Soundmagic P30
Akg k451
Beyerdynamics dtx501p
Audio Technica ATH-ES500
Audio Technica ATH-ES700

I am somewhat favoring one of the Audio Technica pairs but I'm unsure of which one. I don't want the bass to be over powering and I've read that in the es700 this can sometimes occur. I'm looking for some bass but overall a clear sound. I was also curious if buying a portable amp like the fiio e6 or fiio e11 would be largely beneficial to the sound for headphones with such low ohms or if it is just not worth the money.

Thanks for any help

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Personally, i consider the days of the ATH M50 over. Theyre still good headphones, dont get me wrong, but there are better options at this point.

Theyre a little over your budget anyways right? Would you considering spending more than 125? There are quite some good headphones at around the 150 to 200 price

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Cotnijoe: I have considered grado headphones. And I would love a pair of them because they are supposed to be great for rock music which is what I listen to. However I want closed back headphones because I will be using these where I'm around people and leakage is not good.

I would consider spending slightly more if there was something that was far and away much better but I also don't want to have to buy an amp for a more expensive pair. So would it be better to buy a cheaper pair, like the ones I mentioned, and buy a cheaper portable amp, or would it be better to just buy a more expensive pair.

I'm not a huge fan of how large the ATH-M50's are. So for how much larger they are, is the sound really that much better?

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Id maybe consider sol republic master track. Theyre actually pretty decent headphones haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back