Help finding a CD Player
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been using my computer to play cds and songs, but I am seeking a higher quality of sound.

As a friend told me, rather than trying to organize a lossless library and fiddle with a DAC, to just buy a nice CD player and pick up some interconnects.

Right now I have a couple portable Sony CD players, as well as a Sony boombox I use.

Where is the next step up?

I'm not looking to spend more than $100+ on the cd player itself.

On the other hand, would it be more worth it to just play cd's through my computer with a DAC? (I do have an x-fi w/ digital out).

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 17
I never explored the CD world because since 1997, I have been using MP3's, VQF's and later FLAC's and OGG's.

But I recently had a demo of the Musical Fidelity A5 and believe me when I say this, you haven't even explored the full potential of your HD-650's yet.

But the best course of action with your budget in mind is to get a modern day DVD player. Most will certainly play all CD's and some even play SACD's though probably for slightly more than $100. I saw one at a home appliance shop (Pioneer) for $250 AUD. Then like you said, use that as a transport only and use your good DAC for the conversion.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 17
I looked into the Musical Fidelity A5, and sadly, it's a little over my budget, just a little... about $3800 over my budget lolol.

So, if I were to buy a DAC along with a dvd player,

Would I get better sound from:

DVD Player --> DAC -- > amp>phones?
OR
Computer>X-fi Xtrememusic ---digital--> DAC --> amp/phones?

Because if I can get away with just buying a DAC, that'd be more economical
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 17
You should get good result with a DAC so it realy depend on your need, if you have a large collections of CD a good CDP is a better option in my opinion, but with only 100$ budget you won't get the best there is, a good DAC can be bought for real cheap and i ain't sure, but i think X-Fi can go bitperfect so you should have a good sound for pretty cheap with a DAC. What's good with a DAC too is if you want to go with a CDP later you will have a DAC that you will have use for some time and use it with your MP3 and other kind of format, not only CD. I opted for the dual solution but put more money in the pot hehe

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 17
If you can't spend more than 100 dollars on a cd player, you'll be better off or just as good to listen through your computer. 100 bucks doesn't buy much in the audio world.

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 17
thanks for all your help, being a student, I'm not sure where my money will go, and when it will. But eventually, my audiophile budget will be open to find a great DAC in my price range.

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't spend more than 100 dollars on a cd player, you'll be better off or just as good to listen through your computer. 100 bucks doesn't buy much in the audio world.

x2

4cm of Valhalla cable?
k1000smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 17
How about trying to look for maybe an older cd player 2nd hand. (Marantz CD 63/67, Arcam Alphas, Nad etc).

Otherwise I suspect that computer - > Dac would be the best option given your budget.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my computer to play cds and songs, but I am seeking a higher quality of sound.

As a friend told me, rather than trying to organize a lossless library and fiddle with a DAC, to just buy a nice CD player and pick up some interconnects.

Right now I have a couple portable Sony CD players, as well as a Sony boombox I use.

Where is the next step up?

I'm not looking to spend more than $100+ on the cd player itself.

On the other hand, would it be more worth it to just play cd's through my computer with a DAC? (I do have an x-fi w/ digital out).

My main listening rig is a Philips DVP642 DVD player with a Entech 203.2 external DAC - this combo comes in at just over $100 and is so good I sold my NAD C542 - I could not discern any difference between them as transports.

But frankly the DVD player on its own sounds pretty good though the Philips does er have some er reliability issues. Many decent used CD players can be found for about $100 on ebay. The Rotel 955 or 855 are good choices.

There is a lot of snobbery about low price audio, certainly for digital, but with shrewd buying you can get some nice kit for a song.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 17
I agree 100% with the above posts. having just graduated college and being married (wife is still a student) $ comes tight, so I count my blessings when I have $100 to spend on gear.

I too have a Philips dvp642 and they do make a great transport. However, the newer ones are not that good. I have never had any problems with mine playing CD's, but it can be fairly picky about what DVD's it'll play.

The problem w/ the number cruncher suggestion is that the NOS ones on ebay have pretty much dried up and the bidding wars have taken them to $100+ alone.

on a side note I do have both my philips and 203.2 listed for sale here on head-fi.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 17
oppo 970 DVD player gets high marks for sound on audio sites

plays everything:

"...providing support for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), DVD+/-RW and CD-R/RW. It is also compatible with DivX(R) video, XviD, Audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, WMA and other digital audio and video media formats. "

$93 is less than $100+ last time I checked...

http://www.halfmania.com/Browse/Product/?pid=3948&dmid=

of course it may be worth the extra $50 to buy from someone who won't be spamming you with the "special deals" you're required to sign up for

then again what are free email accounts for anyway?

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oppo 970 DVD player gets high marks for sound on audio sites

plays everything:

"...providing support for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), DVD+/-RW and CD-R/RW. It is also compatible with DivX(R) video, XviD, Audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, WMA and other digital audio and video media formats. "

$93 is less than $100+ last time I checked...

http://www.halfmania.com/Browse/Product/?pid=3948&dmid=

of course it may be worth the extra $50 to buy from someone who won't be spamming you with the "special deals" you're required to sign up for

then again what are free email accounts for anyway?

From Halfmania.com privacy policy
---------------------------------

We collect your name, email address, a shipping address, home phone and some basic demographic data such as gender.

Once your personal information is transferred to a third party business partner your personal information is subject to that partner's privacy policy. Please note that HalfMania is not responsible for use of your personal information by such business partner. We urge you to review such privacy policy before consenting to the transfer of your personal information.

Plus it isnt just Spam, you have to sign up for a bucket load of trial offers. Call me old fashioned but $50 doesnt come close to compensating for having to sign up and cancel all these unnecessary deals. Also you may find that you dont get the product if you cancel ?

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 17
I've had good luck with my DVP642, $59 from WalMart, no reliability issues so far (1 year). I use the RCA audio outs and have no complaints about SQ. Last time I wandered through a WalMart it looked like there was a different Phillips player positioned at that price point, and I can't speak to whether or not it is as good. Others have posted about decent DVD players for CD use, a search should pull up a range of opinions.

A good used PCDP with a line out is another option. I have an older Sony D-842K that functions and sounds decent IMO.

Good luck

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Maybe the Sony SCD-CE595 - it's an SACD player that used to sell for about $65 refurbished. Apparently, the SACD section is pretty good, the Redbook is considered average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back