Help-Fiio M6 Sound Output From USB C Port
Jan 15, 2021 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

agarg

New Head-Fier
I would like to know how to connect the Fiio M6 to my newly acquired Sony PHA-1 portable headphone amplifier. I understand that the Fiio M6 can output sound from the USB C port. I have tried connecting the M6 to the Sony PHA-1 via 2 different cables:
1. USB C to USB A Cable
2. USB C to Micro USB Cable
I was not able to get any sound to my headphones from the Sony PHA-1
Or is there a USB C to 3.5mm cable that can connect to the analog 3.5mm input on the Sony PHA-1
I was hoping to get a line out signal to the digiatl section of the Sony PHA-1
Is there some settings on the FIIO I need to look for ?
Thanks for any feedback
Amit

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 5
The Fiio M6 uses the USB C port to output a digital signal, to be decoded by the DAC in your Sony device. Using the the USB C to USB A cable should be all that’s needed. On my M6, there’s no setting for using the M6 as a transport to an external DAC, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work

Because the USB C port only outputs digital, connecting it to the analogue 3.5mm port on the amp wouldn’t work.

What you can do though, is use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable connected for the headphone socket of the M6 to the 3.5mm input on the Sony. With the output set to ‘Line out’ on the M6, you will be feeding a clean signal to the Sony amp.

However, this wouldn’t use the DAC in the Sony though, which is what I presume you’re hoping to use. One thing to check in the settings on the M6: In the ‘Audio’ settings, there is a check box for ‘USB DAC’ This is for decoding a digital signal coming into the M6, rather than outputting to an external DAC, so make sure this box is NOT checked!

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Have you tried a UBS C to A OTG cable?
OTG is probably needed to force the Fiio to act like a host
Ok, This is something I never considered .. I will give this OTG cable a try. I didn't know what that was LOL..just looked it up
Looks like Fiio has this cable they recommend Fiio CL06 it has OTG built in? Maybe this OTG thing is the missing ingredient from my existing cables..
Thanks for the heads up

Amit

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Hello. I try to use the USB-C of the Fiio m6 to feed an ifi hip dac. It works instandly with an android smartphone but nothing happens with the Fiio M6. Is there any setting necessary? There is a cable from USB-C to USB-A (female) included with the amp.
Would be thankfull for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back