Help figuring out my sound profile preference
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shiven

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a new member who has long thought about getting some high-quality IEMs and am finally now looking seriously at making a purchase in the near term. Before I made a substantial purchase of that type, however, I wanted to figure out my preferred sound signature to the extent possible. Ideally, I'd like to go in to an audio store and listen to some different options, but I'm not sure that that is feasible given COVID -- I'm near Grand Rapids, MI, if anyone has any suggestions for audio stores in the West Michigan area (or more generally how to find a good audio store for this sort of testing).

Assuming that the audio store route doesn't work, I'm thinking to buy at least one relatively cheap IEM (<$70) with a replaceable cable, and potentially several if needed to get a fulsome view of different sound profiles. Cheaper is definitely preferable here, and I want to make sure that if I get multiple earbuds that they're of roughly comparable overall quality so I'm focusing my comparison on the differing sound profiles.
(I don't currently have any earbuds with replaceable cables, so I want to get a pair with replaceable cables at the same time as I'm getting earbuds for this sound profile testing.)

My general understanding is that a majority of people prefer earbuds tuned to the Harman curve, but some people prefer less bass, and some people prefer more bass. I'm sure there are is much more complexity when you really dig into it, but is that roughly accurate to a first approximation? I.e. that I should try to test out three primary sound profiles (rather than four, or two, or five).

I currently have access to a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and Jabra Elite 75t earbuds. I'm not sure what sound profiles they have (bass heavy?). Any suggestions on <$70 earbuds with replaceable cables to fill in whatever sound profiles aren't already covered by the Galaxy Buds+ and Jabra Elite 75t earbuds? Any other suggestions for good methods for trying to figure this out?

In case it's relevant or helpful, I mostly listen to ambient electronic music, such as video game soundtracks or instrumental music. I occasionally listen to music with lyrics, but it's a small part of my music library.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 10
You can go to the Guitar Center in nearby Kentwood to try out their over-ear headphones and maybe in-ear monitors. This way, you can see what type of sound signature you prefer with over-ears at least.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 10
You can go to the Guitar Center in nearby Kentwood to try out their over-ear headphones and maybe in-ear monitors. This way, you can see what type of sound signature you prefer with over-ears at least.

Great, that's very helpful and not too far from me. I'll check to find out if it's feasible for me to do that given COVID. Much appreciated for the recommendation!

EDIT: I checked, and they aren't currently allowing any in-person audio testing because of COVID, so that's sadly not an option. Any suggestions for relatively inexpensive IEMs that I can get to compare/contrast different sound profiles?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 10
As a follow-up, I'm thinking to get the following IEMs to conduct my own personal sound profile test. Any suggestions or critiques would be appreciated.

Bass heavy: FiiO FD1

Neutral: Tin T2 Plus

Bright: Grado iGe3

The Grado iGe3 in particular are a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I had difficulty finding other "bright" options that seemed decent.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 10
According to this list:

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Anything considered “bright” costs over $100. However, the highest-ranked and cheapest IEMs are the Sony MH755 and Blon BL03, but I have three pairs of the MH755 and they are not bright, so here is a Blon BL03, which is “V-Shaped”:

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiHear-Earphone-Diaphragm-Headphone-Detachable/dp/B07TVQXWDZ?th=1&psc=1

BTW, prepare to give some IEMs away as gifts. :wink:

I looked into the Sony MH755s, but I couldn't find anywhere good to get them (it seems like there used to be a specific person reselling them on ebay, but that's no longer the case). I appreciate the recommendation of the Blon BL03, and I'll grab a pair of those.

Haha, yes, I'm definitely going to be giving away a bunch of these after I'm through with this process. Fortunately, I think that IEMs make pretty good gifts :wink:

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Personally, I'd get only the neutral IEMs (or any of the others you're most drawn to), spend some quality time getting to know them, and then figure out what you do and don't like about them.

If you're switching back and forth and comparing, you're likely to be impressed and wowed by attributes that you later find to fatigue and annoy you.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Personally, I'd get only the neutral IEMs (or any of the others you're most drawn to), spend some quality time getting to know them, and then figure out what you do and don't like about them.

If you're switching back and forth and comparing, you're likely to be impressed and wowed by attributes that you later find to fatigue and annoy you.

That makes sense; I appreciate the suggestion about how to test them. Since I'm planning to get custom molded IEMs long-term, and I doubt I'll be going in to an audiologist for at least several months given COVID, I figure I'll have time to thoroughly test drive all the different earbuds I'm getting. That's a good point though to make sure I test all of them for extended periods to make sure they don't start to bother me, rather than just switching in between them frequently.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 10
What would you use as a source for the music? This is also an important factor, not just the can.

Currently, I'm planning to primarily use a FiiO UTWS3 to make my IEMs truly wireless, although I'll also probably use a cable at least some of the time (I'm in the process of getting a UTWS3 to test and make sure I like it). The device playing the music would either be my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) or my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon). I don't have any amps or anything like that, although if there's a convenient way of connecting an amp to my laptop and then to my IEMs to improve sound quality, I may look into that (I'm also not sure if that's necessary if I'm also using the UTWS3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back