Help figuring out impedance on Beyer DT 100
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

(gregor)

100+ Head-Fier
So I was at the local Goodwill shopping for crap for the new apartment, and I saw these sitting in the "electrical crap" section of the store, and since they looked like headphones, I gave a closer look. One side said "beyerdynamic))))" and the other "DT 100"; the price tag said 1.99, so I decided to purchase them. After some back and forth with the lady friend as to their probably value being more than $2 despite threats of "I don't care if they are worth $200, they are ugly, and you aren't bringing them home."

(I won the battle, googled them, found that they still retail at ~$200, and showed her what was up; she was authentically impressed by my thrift store prowess and silenced as to their hideousness)

Great story, right?

Now, I did my homework on the web and on the site (and found out who actually has these pups, and how they stopped being cool in 1991, etc). But what I really want to know is what is the impedance?! Beyer lists them as either 16 ohm or 400 ohm. I gather they are not supersensitive either way, and mine DEFINITELY sound better amped (quite different and fun actually), but if anyone has insight into this debacle, that would be swell.

Thanks

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Ok seriously, if anyone knows ANYTHING about determining impedence on beyer cans, please spill. All I have to go on is a marking stamped on the side of each cup, saying, "2x2 k Ω"

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 3
I found a pair in a pile of leftovers from a garage sale, they say 200 ohm on each side, so I am guessing they are the 400 ohm model, so maybe that means yours are the 16 ohm ones. What I would do is take a multi meter and measure the resistance between the ground and one of the channels (between the tip and one of the other spots on the connector) for the 16 ohm one, if it works like speaker drivers do, it should read about 7.2 ohms or so for DC resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back