HELP! extremely loud buzzing from speakers when GPU is "active"
Feb 11, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 34
One more thing to try: remove any external audio connections (amplifier, front panel, etc.) from the sound card, and try it with headphones. If you have a suitable adapter, try driving headphones with the line output as well. If the noise is fixed, then the problem is definitely grounding related.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 34
I would just try buying another el cheapo soundcard, installing it in place of the xonar, and see if the same thing happens. It just sounds to me like your xonar is messed up. (defective noise isolation circuitry)

i tried two xonars with the same problem. doesnt have the same problem on other cards, but then again, the other cards don't have a direct power connector to the pSU

It is probably not EMI, especially if the level of the noise is very high. The most likely cause is grounding problems (part of the current drawn by the GPU - which can be extremely high for "gamer" cards - leaks into the audio signal path through the ground wires), or maybe the power supply. What happens if you do not use that graphics card, and use onboard video (if available), or some low end, low power card instead of the HD6950 ?

i don't have another video card handy, but grounding sounds very much like the problem and what i'm leaning toward. what can i do to troubleshoot my grounding issues? could it just be the wall socket improperly wired?

One more thing to try: remove any external audio connections (amplifier, front panel, etc.) from the sound card, and try it with headphones. If you have a suitable adapter, try driving headphones with the line output as well. If the noise is fixed, then the problem is definitely grounding related.

i will try to give this a shot as well. thanks!

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #18 of 34
That's just a problem you'll have with higher-end video cards. I was able to partly remedy the problem with my GTX465 by overclocking it, which changed the pitch of the whine, to a point where it was pretty much inaudible.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 34
That's just a problem you'll have with higher-end video cards. I was able to partly remedy the problem with my GTX465 by overclocking it, which changed the pitch of the whine, to a point where it was pretty much inaudible.

Damn, that is crazy because GPU frequencies are so high around 800 MHz. Do you think its just harmonics?
I have noticed that big GPUs add around 20mV rms AC to the 12V rail of the PSU when loaded with ATI Tool as measured with my Fluke 77. I have no clue what frequency though.
The audible noise from the graphics card itself under load is like nails on a chalk board.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 34
so i tried the headphone jack today on the xonar, and there is absolutely no noise at all.

it is only from the line out RCA jacks of my soundcard.

can we conclude this is a grounding issue?

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:
it is only from the line out RCA jacks of my soundcard.
can we conclude this is a grounding issue?

Yes, especially if the RCA outs are not noisy either when they are used to drive headphones directly (with an adapter).

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 34
holy crap it was my freaking radioshack adapters! i tried going RCA cable to TRS adapter instead of TRS cable to RCA adapter (cheapo interconnect) and everything is fine now!

ugh... get what you pay for.

now if i could find a cable with 1/4" RCA on one end and TRS on the other, i wouldn't need these adapters :frowning2:

edit: the TRS connection is for my active crossover used for the subwoofer, otherwise i'd just be going straight to the amp RCA to RCA

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
now if i could find a cable with 1/4" RCA on one end and TRS on the other, i wouldn't need these adapters
frown.gif

http://www.monoprice.com/ is the solution to your problems.

(Not all of them, though - Monoprice, for some reason, doesn't have 2XLRf to 2RCAm. I had to go to Amazon for that...)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
holy crap it was my freaking radioshack adapters! i tried going RCA cable to TRS adapter instead of TRS cable to RCA adapter (cheapo interconnect) and everything is fine now!
now if i could find a cable with 1/4" RCA on one end and TRS on the other, i wouldn't need these adapters
frown.gif

edit: the TRS connection is for my active crossover used for the subwoofer, otherwise i'd just be going straight to the amp RCA to RCA

Also check Blue Jeans Cable.  You could have a nice custom made cable to length for a fair price.  I've been quite pleased with all my Blue Jeans cables.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
frown.gif

i'm glad you solved this, i have the same problem but i have not found a solution yet.
Headphone amp is fine but connecting a pair of studio monitor via RCA cable gives me this problem.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #27 of 34
Don't have any problems on my system, sound is as black as it can get alone.  Using an EVGA x58 SLi, and an EVGA GTX 580 with a corsair gold model PSU.  As far as USB components are concerned, Monitor USB hub, Keyboard USB hub and illumination power, Mouse, GrandDog USB stick, USB3 PCI-E Card connected to PSU.

No issue at all.  Computer is connected to a surge protector, my 2 main audio components an unfiltered, unconditioned power strip.

Connected via digital coax.

Try toslink

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 34
Hi everyone, first post!

I have the same problem with the Xonar Essence: really strong EMI noise while watching video, less disturbing but still present otherwise. It starts when the card gets powered (after the click).
The headphone sound is clean.
I have a pair of amplified monitors (I-Key Audio) and shielded RCA-to-RCA cables.
Tests so far: same noise with 2 different video cards. I switched the Xonar to another slot - same thing.
Can hear the mouse as well, on both front / back USB.

I think it started recently, I have the sound card for more than one year and didn't notice the noise until recently.
I was thinking about getting other cables, but I have a feeling it will not solve it... I'll try to borrow a cable.

My config: E8400 non-oc/ Gigabyte mobo (G35 or 45?), Asus GT430, Kingwin Platinum 550W

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #29 of 34
Did you rule out the possibility of a ground loop by trying headphones directly from the sound card ? If there is no noise with the headphones connected to the 1/4" headphone output, or the RCA line outputs (with the included adapter) either, then you have a ground loop or faulty cables. Did you change something recently when the problem started, in the PC, the speakers/amplifier, or how they are connected to AC power ?

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #30 of 34
I just checked again: no noise in the headphones (I always keep them connected to the card output). I'm not sure what adapter you are referring to - I have the speakers connected directly to the outputs of the card via phono (RCA) cables.
I'll try a different power outlet, but I lost confidence in the "allmighty" XOnar after seeing there are others with the same issue.
I'll be back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back