Help EQing my Audioengine A2s
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

overhaze

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I was thinking about getting myself a new pair of PC speakers but instead I think I'll concentrate on getting the most out of the ones I have; my five year old Audioengine A2s. The biggest issue I have with them is their midbass hump. It can make them sound flabby with some genres and can hurt dialogue intelligibility in movies and games. This is the EQ I've settled on to try and correct it but I'm far for an expert. It sounds good to my ears but I'm fairly sure it could be better.

Any suggestions? Also how would you recommend altering this if the A2s ended up being connected to a sub-woofer? 

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Here are some things to keep in mind that can effect your sound experience:
  1. ​Room acoustics (What is the size of the room? Are there wood floors? Is the room pretty empty or full of stuff?)
  2. Placement (Are they placed against a wall? Are they directly on the desk or isolated from it? How are they angled?)

A-lot of studio monitors give you "trim" options which allow you to EQ the speakers directly. There is nothing unusual about what you're doing. I'd just keep in mind there are other variables at play such as the above.

As for the EQ, I set 0 db as my limit. In other words, I don't adjust the bands above it. I lower the frequencies I don't like or think will make the frequencies that I do like stand out more. Don't even bother with the 31hz band. There is no way 2.75in woofers can produce that frequency; it's just physics unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Interesting development. Trying to stop windows from monkeying with my audio as much as possible I've always kept the "full ranged speakers" option checked. Today while messing around with settings I left it off by mistake and the difference its made is huge. The speakers have completely opened up and made my EQ unnecessary. Any idea why this should have helped so much? 

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 7
What software are you running your audio through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back