HELP Ebay shipping problem
Jun 15, 2005 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
SO heres the deal, I ordered a used psp off ebay. The seller said he'd ship it yesterday (monday). The shipping service listed on the ebay listing is usps priority which I calculated would take 2 days from his location. Today I email the guy asking if he shipped it yesterday, he replys back and tells me he shipped it off today (tuesday) and the he used ups instead of usps. This means that the package will take 5 business days to deliver. The problem is, I will be gone for vacation all of next week and will not be home when the package is delivered. Since his listing stated usps priority (which I paid 20 bucks for) and he shipped the item off using ups ground, is there any way I could file a claim, and am I still held responsible for the package even if I won't be home? Help me out guys.

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 24
Why don't you email the guy and ask for a refund of the difference between USPS priority and UPS ground?
And if you don't get the package this week, you can contact UPS and ask them if they can hold the package for you and deliver it a week later or you can leave a note for them on the door asking them to leave the package at your neighbours (if you trust them).
And you can always leave negative feedback for that guy, but you would be risking that he will do the same for you.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 24
I told him that I wanted a refund and he stopped replying to my emails. Shouldnt he be held accountable for something? He used the wrong shipping service that was listed. If he would have at least used ups 3 day to match usps priority's 1-3 day shipping, then I would be ok about it, but come on, now I have to go to the store and buy a new psp just to use on the trip.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 24
You can’t renege on the deal or leave negative feedback because you’re going on vacation.

You also can’t ask for a refund because you’re going on vacation and besides he already shipped the item.

“now I have to go to the store and by a new psp just to use on the trip.”

Buyers like you really destroy the Ebay experience. What’s your Ebay name so I can put you on Bid Block?

Mitch

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 24
How IS IT MY FAULT HE SHIPPED THE PACKAGE USING A SLOWER SERVICE THAN HE LISTED ON THE EBAY LISTING? HE CLEARLY LISTED USPS PRIORITY SHIPPING AND HE USED UPS GROUND WHICH TAKES 3 EXTRA DAYS TO GET HERE. I PAID FOR A 3 DAY SHIPPING SERVICE AND HE USED A 5 DAY SHIPPING SERVICE. HOW IS THAT FAIR TO ME AND HOW IS IT MY FAULT?

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 24
I'll have to disagree with brailledivers post. You bid on an item expecting it to be shipped via Priority Mail which is 2-3 days delivery time, not UPS ground, which is 5-7 days delivery time. You definitely have a right to ask for a refund for the difference in shipping prices, UPS ground is like $8!! Whats up with $20 for Priority Mail by the way, that seems kinda high?

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
How IS IT MY FAULT HE SHIPPED THE PACKAGE USING A SLOWER SERVICE THAN HE LISTED ON THE EBAY LISTING? HE CLEARLY LISTED USPS PRIORITY SHIPPING AND HE USED UPS GROUND WHICH TAKES 3 EXTRA DAYS TO GET HERE.

Yelling won't help, it just gets people angry. I have no pity. You should have bought it earlier. Just be happy he sent it, I had to wait over a month because this guy tried to rip me off. It could be worse.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 24
I don't mean to go crazy and get all mad, but saying that I ruin the ebay experience because the seller did not do what his ebay listing stated? How is that fair to me? I may be overreacting a little bit because of all the stress for studying for finals and I was just so excited and thought I would be getting this psp to play on my vacation right after finals, which I might add is also my birthday. But it still isn't my fault.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
You can’t renege on the deal or leave negative feedback because you’re going on vacation.

You also can’t ask for a refund because you’re going on vacation and besides he already shipped the item.

“now I have to go to the store and by a new psp just to use on the trip.”

Buyers like you really destroy the Ebay experience. What’s your Ebay name so I can put you on Bid Block?

Mitch

Maybe you didn't read that it was stated in the item description item will be shipped USPS Priority- Which the seller is accountable for. It has nothing to do with the fact he is going on vacation. He could have bid on a similar item with cheaper shipping and saved money but this is not the case... The buyer distinctly needed Priority, which was in the item description.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 24
Thank you to all who understand the situation. I apologize for typing in all caps. It just angered the mean things that guy said to me.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 24
It MIGHT be possible to have UPS redirect it to your hotel. They might not do that on plain ground shipments though.

Did you actually see that it was sent UPS and the guy isn't just messing with you?

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 24
People get ripped off all the time on shipping cost on Ebay. That's the way it is and maybe that is the way of the sellers trying to lower their final value fees. Like, for example, if you buy from some Hong-Kong seller something for $1 (and it clearly is more expensive) and he charges you an additional $12 for shipping and when you get the package you see $10 stamps (Honk-Kong dollars that is, which is maybe $1), you are clearly ripped off on shipping, but you leave positive feedback nevertheless, because you know the seller included the cost of the item in the shipping costs.

And as an Ebay seller myself I must defend this seller, because with all the costs a seller has with Ebay (listing fees, final value fees, PayPal fees), most of the time the extra money he makes on shipping hardly covers these fees.

I am not trying to rip off buyers on shipping, I usually charge only an extra dollar or two to cover the packaging, time, effort and a part of the Ebay fees. But if something like that happened to me for some reason (maybe he didn't feel like standing in a long line at the Post office), I would most certainly refund the shipping cost difference if the buyer asked for it.

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 24
It's too bad the seller didn't hold up his end of the transaction but some sellers are like that.

Though you were counting on having the PSP for the vacation, maybe you should consider that some of us will not be so lucky next week
icon10.gif

Hope finals went well.

Jun 15, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
And as an Ebay seller myself I must defend this seller, because with all the costs a seller has with Ebay (listing fees, final value fees, PayPal fees), most of the time the extra money he makes on shipping hardly covers these fees.

I don't like all the fees eBay charges either, but too many people have adopted the (IMO wrong) attitude that those costs must be passed on to the buyer. eBay is providing a service, people. When a seller lists his/her items on eBay, he/she should be willing to pay the fees associated with having your item(s) exposed to millions of people. It's kinda like advertising.

Same with PayPal. In the minds of many sellers, the buyer should be responsible for paying the PayPal fee. I disagree (or at least think the fee should be shared). PayPal enables the average Joe to take credit card payments, and many people think that such a convenience (along with eBay) should be free. Everybody wants something for nothing I suppose.

With that said, I don't like to see all the inflated shipping prices on eBay and I do wish all of the fees didn't suck up so much of your final selling price, but the bottom line is that if you voluntarily choose to use those services you should be prepared to pay for them. It's not like these are non-profit organizations that are here to run 24/7 out of the goodness of their hearts...

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 24
Thanks for everyone's concerns, I resolved the problem with the seller and he refunded me half of the shipping fee. I will have a friend come over next week and get the package for me until I return. I will be going to best buy tomorrow to see if they have any psp's in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back