Help: DT770Pros distorting!?
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Inquisitor

New Head-Fier
So I just picked up a mini3 from agile_one over the weekend. I love it and I'm totally stoked. However, it seems my headphones are distorting at a volume they should be able to handle just fine (but without the amp couldn't reach). So I'm thinking my drivers may be a little more worn/abused than I previously realized. (I tested it on a seperate stereo system amp/receiver so I know it's not the Mini3). I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it though. Let me put on some music and try to describe the sound as best I can. I haven't gotten the sound description terms quite down just yet, but here it goes:

Source: CD player (or laptop with downloaded 192kbps songs, I'm swapping between them to compare)
Cable type: 3.5mm -> RCA on the cd player (or laptop) to the amp
Amp: Yamaha RX-V793 I borrowed. No effects on, bass and treble at 0 adjustment. It used to power a home theater system so I know it's got the juice.
to: 6.3mm Headphone output on the amp through my phones' stock cable
HP: DT770/80 Pro

Music: Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The lost christmas eve (album)

Note: I'm just listening to this and writing as I hear things. It will be less of a list of issues and more of a step by step sonic evaluation.

I can hear a grainy hiss in the right ear, only when music is playing. More noticeable at lower volume levels. The highs sound pretty clear. The bass and lower mids seem to have a buzz to them. Its not a high pitch buzz, more of a distorted sound. Like the phones can't quite handle the bass intensity. The hiss in the right ear isn't continuous, it depends on the volume and pitch of the sound playing from the phone. Its reminds me of a hi-hat on drums, if you were to hit the hi-hat lightly with it clamped down closely, then depending on the sound playing it cuts off tight (as though you pushed down on the foot pedal to silence the hi-hat.

The bass doesn't hit smoothly, it's got more of "choppy" sound to it. This becomes far more pronounced if I increase the bass boosting that the amp offers as a knob. It seems to distort even the mids and highs when the bass hits or there is a lot of bass pushing through.

Music change: Megadeth - "Trust" because it has a lot of bassiness at the beginning.

The bass sounds like a low rumble mixed with distortion. At higher volumes (though not earshattering) everything except the highs distorts.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I don't see why these headphones should have any problem with distortion at all. Especially since its really not trying to handle something super intense. It just seems that the drivers aren't working well with the bass. My old pair of Stanton DJ Pro 60's are handling the sound a lot better, while being a lot shallower sounding phone, even at much higher volume, the stanton's aren't distorting like my Beyers. I really hope I don't have burned out drivers or something.

Please, help me figure out what exactly is at fault here. More than likely I'll have nothing I can do to fix it, but I'd atleast like some confirmation on what the deal is. Thanks in advance.

- D

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 15
If you want to rule out your equipment try it with another headphone and not another source.
In your case there is probably a hair stuck somewhere in or near the drivers. They like to stick in the foam covering your DT's driver or in the driver itself and vibrate when there is music playing. It will sound as if it is distorting.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Maybe you just hear what's on the recording for the first time?
Perhaps your other headphones masks the faults in the recording.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That seems like the best theory to me. My DT770s never distorted, period, whether driven by an integrated amp, a LD I+, or directly from an ipod.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to rule out your equipment try it with another headphone and not another source.
In your case there is probably a hair stuck somewhere in or near the drivers. They like to stick in the foam covering your DT's driver or in the driver itself and vibrate when there is music playing. It will sound as if it is distorting.

Hmm, I'll have to find the thread I saw awhile back that explains how to take apart my 770s to fix that, the last thing I want to do is break them trying to fix them lol

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I'll have to find the thread I saw awhile back that explains how to take apart my 770s to fix that, the last thing I want to do is break them trying to fix them lol

I know. There was a thread about that some time ago. This link will help though.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 15
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...70-pro-406964/
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That hi-hat like hiss sound could be explained by that, but hearing a clean bass guitar note garble with distortion tells me something else is going on here.

On a side note, quick question, I haven't taken my phones apart yet, but why is it that if you feel inside the can where your ears go, on the right side in the center there is a little dome that sticks out, and on the right side, there's no mini-dome.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear hiss and distortions on a number of recordings, the phones and amp are both fine but frequently I find recordings which just aren't too good. Even modern ones.

It does it on any recording, CD or ripped file, when there's a decent amount of bass
angry_face.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Couldn't find any hairs when I opened em up. I took some pictures I'll upload in a little bit, lemme know if there's anywhere else I missed looking inside

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Right now I am listening to Christmas Canon In D - Trans Siberia Orchestra (not sure if this is the correct spelling) 192br. I am getting no buzzing in the right that I can hear, but I am hearing the same Bass Buzzing you speak of. The voices are great and clear, but when the piano kicks in I can hear the... I dont want to say buzz, it sounds like a rumbling reverb.

Anyways, thats all Im getting. But then I just may not be experianced enough to acknowledge the same things your hearing. As well, I have 250's, not 80.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 15
On a side note, TSO Rocks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back