HELP! DT770 Dual Entry issue!
Jan 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drew.haynes

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so here is the deal... Original configuration on the DT770 has right, left, ground enter the left ear. The driver has 3 solder points and right, left, ground EACH attach to one. From there, jumper wires run from the right and ground through the headband to the other driver. First, I recabled with mogami 2534 in the STOCK configuration... WORKED. Then I decided to go dual entry. A ground and left signal wire go to left driver, while a ground and right go to the right. The grounds merge at the 3.5mm jack. Now the right driver plays and the left is DEAD silent. Does anyone with Dt770 cabling experience know what could be wrong? I can't figure how I COULD have blown the driver, doesn't even seem to make sense. I don't know why the right signal ORIGINALLY is soldered onto a 3rd point on the left driver, prior to jumpering to the right. Does the left driver somehow require that all 3 tie to it, while the right driver works with only signal and ground? Really desperate here. Frustrating!

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Maybe there's a short somewhere between the L and G wires. Check the resistance between the tip and sleeve of the plug. Should be the same as the impedance rating of your Beyers.

* I have never recabled a Beyer

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I don't know why the right signal ORIGINALLY is soldered onto a 3rd point on the left driver, prior to jumpering to the right. Does the left driver somehow require that all 3 tie to it, while the right driver works with only signal and ground? Really desperate here. Frustrating!

Its just a "tie point" for the 2 right wires - the one from the cable up from the plug, and the one over to the right cup.

Quote:
Maybe there's a short somewhere between the L and G wires. Check the resistance between the tip and sleeve of the plug. Should be the same as the impedance rating of your Beyers.

* I have never recabled a beyer

Generally good advice, and good advice in this case too. Actually pretty much always good advice when your headphones mysteriously stop working. A very high percentage of headphones-stopped-working mysteries are quickly and easily solved with an ohm-meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back