HELP! Down to two speaker cables and need a push...
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Modena

Head-Fier
Your advice is very much appreciated:

1. Starflex SPX Speaker Cable, 11 Guage (4-14AWG conductors)Conductor DC Resistance: 2.6 ohms/1000 ft, Nominal Capacitance: 45 pF/ft (StarFlex SPX - 11 Gauge Speaker Cable - 4-14AWG Conductors | River Cable)

OR

2. Zebra Cables, ZC SP10SD, 2 x 10 AWG stranded OFC for the negative
(2 x 10 AWG stranded OFC for the positive) Effective guage for each channel is 7AWG
PVC insulation, PVC jacket, Twisted Pair Design
Nom. Inductance: 0.15 µH/ft
Nom. Capacitance Conductor to Conductor @ 1 KHz: 26 pF/ft
Nom. Conductor DC Resistance: 1.03 Ohms/1000 ft
(Zebra Cables - Custom Quality Audio and Video Cables)

Leaning towards the Zebras, cost and conductance and resistane along with reviews. Thoughts??

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd just get some Belden 10g from Blue Jeans Cable. Oh wait, I did.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u like?

Well, yes. But then the only thing I have to compare them with is some 18g junk I got at.....shudder...Wal-Mart.

I didn't bother trying to make any comparisons between them. I have a pair of Paradigm 7seMKIII's that I picked up used on the cheap and I just wanted some quality speaker wire. My living room has all ceramic tile, so I do zero music listening on them. I have a fine headphone rig for music, and there are no flaws in room acoustics to deal with.

Also, reading about speaker wire on BJC's site was quite informative.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 8
I hear you.

These cables are for my Zu Essence in my office being pushed by my Woo, WA5. Funny thing is, I was in our theatre room last night and my wife and I were wondering what the heck was wrong with the sound. So today I go up and check out the copper cables I had bought in bulk some ten years ago, they were green and black and sticky. I couldn't believe it. So I ordered some Canare S for all four speakers. Man, I could not believe. No more cheap stuff.

So, I have done the research on these two brands and am pretty sure on them, as they are both really well reviewed. I need to check the pricing on the "pair" for the Starflex as I am not sure if I get one pair of cables for one channel, or two true pairs.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 8
The Zebra cable looks like the better deal to me based on these two.

I'd also recommend BJC's speaker cable, but they are very stiff and sort of hard to work with. Not as troublesome as Romex though which is my current pick if you want a great cable for cheeeep.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Went backwards; after speaking with River Cable, and additional research regarding sound, I decided to go with the Starflex SPX. I was going to get their top of the line, but they explained for my desires I'd be happier with the SPX.

I found where the Zebra cable was a little bright on the high end, where the River Cable was more neutral and warm. So, I'll keep you posted when I take delivery. In the meantime I have to make some powercords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back