HELP, does such a headphone exist?!?
Nov 13, 2003 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rligeti

100+ Head-Fier
DISCLAIMER: I posted this earlier but got very few opions due to the fact that I probabaly mis-titled the thread.. In any case, I look forward to you responses....

I just received my hd590s and even right out of the box, I must say, my Grado SR325s can't touch the soundstage or comfort. That being said, I will add that the Senn's have a much more laidback soundstage but I'm not sure they lack any detail albeit the highs, as crisp as they are, are less piercing than the stock 325s (get the flat pads from Todd).

For lack of a better analogy, form a "sound" standpoint I'd compare the 325s and the 590s to "pushy" and "complacent", respectively. What I mean by that is that the 325s shove alot of sound and detail into your canal and the 590s seem content to say, I’m hear and if you want, you can listen... If not, we're still here but I'm not going to come crashing through your cranium like a battering ram. They really are two different animals.

The 590s leak almost as much sound as they put in your skull, far more than the 325's. Leave them at home unless you have NO co-workers. My wife turned to me tonight and said "you can't take those things to work". Enough said on this aspect.

Efficiency? Grado takes it hands down... 32 ohms, vs. 120 ohms. With my airhead amp, I can crank either to uncomfortable levels but the 590s are pretty quiet and hollow with no amp. Portable users take note. This is probably not your headphone, unless you travel with an amp.

Overall I would say that if the 590's didn't leak as much and were more efficient, I’d make the switch. That being said I'll most likely sell the 325s and the 590s and I’m on a new quest.

Here's what I REALLY want....

1. Sound halfway between Grado and Senn in terms of forward/laidback.

2. Detail of the Grados, or at the very least leaning in that direction.

3. Soundstage of the Senn's. Grado really can't touch this (I have not heard the really high end reference stuff...) but even out of the box, the 590s seem huge in comparison.

4. Isolation: more, period.

5. Efficiency, grados are superb, senns aren't. 64 ohms or less would be ideal.

6. Ideally, they would be sealed cans. Something I could haul to work and listen all day and take home and watch movies in bed without bothering my wife.

7. Comfort. I don't think I need to elaborate here... Senn...

Is that too much to ask? LOL :)

The more research I do, the more it seems I am writing a description for the Sony CD3Ks. ($$$ ouch!!!)

In closing, if I could unload my grados and senns, I’d be looking for the most efficient, best sounding sealed cans for $300-350 or less...

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Rob

PS. Most of the time these will be used with a portable total airhead amp...

Nov 13, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Yes, I believe the cd3k is the only can that fits all of your criteria. Though they wouldn't exactly be something I'd haul around.

Actually, some of the audio-technica offerings might be an alternative. I can't say for myself, since I haven't heard any of them.

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
Beyerdynamic DT880

See requirement #5. Beyere's are 250 Ohms.. Even with a portable amp it's a struggle to drive them..

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Ultrasone HFI-700 (DVD-edition 650).

Kicks as hard as a grado, but more fluid in the highs. Nice clarity in female vocals, sligh brightness, but no harshness. Very good bass.

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Sometimes the impedence doesn't seem to matter, for example:

When comparing the HD 570 to the HD 590, the 570's impedence is 64 ohms and the 590's are rated at 120 ohms yet the 590's are MUCH easier to drive.

32 ohm Grado SR-60's use the same volume setting as my 590's.

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I don't think they have any isolation, right?

My Bad.
redface.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 13
rligeti,
The Audio Technica A900 might work and the W1000 might work as well too. Some people say the W1000 are kind of cold, but on my system, the W1000's are rich, warm, and wieghty with both plenty of detail, which is NOT thrown in your face with overly bright highs...so the sound seems somewhat laid back or more neutral, IMO. But, I wouldn't lug the W1000's around either. Maybe get some opinions from the people who have Beyers or AKG's. Bottom line, you may have to do some experimenting...either auditioning or actually buying and re-selling if not satisfied. Good luck to you, rligeti
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 13
I think you are writing a description of the CD3K... well, apart from the luggable aspect. I also agree that the A900 is like a rougher (and ever so slightly more practical, as well as considerably more socially acceptable
wink.gif
) version of the CD3K... I think I wrote this a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back