HELP! DIY UE Cable
May 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Foress

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers!

I'm new to the DIY scene. Please pardon my noob questions.
I'm trying to make a wire for my reshelled TF10.

The current wire I'm using is a UE11 wire. I thought all UE pins connect the same, but somehow my UE11 pins fit nicely into my IEM, but my TF10 wire's kind of loose.
Any idea what kind of pins I should buy?

Also, I'll be soldering to a Neutrik NTP3RC-B plug. I see that there are 3 places for me to connect the plug to the wire; the top, and the left and right. 

If I want to do a silver/copper hybrid, won't there be only 2 strands for me to connect?
Also, there are many braiding methods. Any idea which is the most suitable?
Any idea what kind of pins I should buy?

I appreciate your answering of my questions and reading this!

May 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 17
Can't answer the first question, but you should end up with 4 strands. Each channel has a ground you both connect to the ground on the plug.
Litz braid is usually very common.

May 7, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Can't answer the first question, but you should end up with 4 strands. Each channel has a ground you both connect to the ground on the plug.
Litz braid is usually very common.

Thanks for your help!
On the instructions on soldering, there are only 3 channels for me to connect to the plug. Any ideas where the 4th strand should be connected to?

May 7, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
On the instructions on soldering, there are only 3 channels for me to connect to the plug. Any ideas where the 4th strand should be connected to?

Ground-right into one earphone, ground-left into the other earphone. Left to tip, Right to ring and ground-ground to sleeve. Also, where do you happen to get your pins from? And silver/copper wires flexible enough to turn into IEM cables? O.o

May 7, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm in Singapore, so I'm gonna get it from Koba Electronics, which most people on our local HWZ forums recommend. Yeap, I read somewhere that it's quite good to do that.. but do you have better recommendations? It's my first try afterall.

May 7, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I'm in Singapore, so I'm gonna get it from Koba Electronics, which most people on our local HWZ forums recommend. Yeap, I read somewhere that it's quite good to do that.. but do you have better recommendations? It's my first try afterall.

Uh the only recommendation I have is for you to insulate each terminal after you solder with heatshrink. I've been to Koba and their wires all seem to be 20-22AWG and no thinner.. did I miss something? And I wasn't aware they sold custom pins either O.o

May 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Oh crap. Guess I messed up. Where do you get your pins?

I don't, which was why I was asking where you bought yours. HAHA. And messed up as in..? You haven't bought the materials yet?

May 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
haven't bought pins. everything else boughttt

Ahh yeah in which case you might have a problem. discovery-global.com might be worth checking out though, but it's based in hongkong iirc so shipping may make things slightly uneconomical :/

May 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
do they sell pins there? can't seem to find it!

Just checked the site, apparently not any more. As of a month ago they did though, a pity. I don't think anywhere else has them, go see where overmolders get theirs I suppose?

May 9, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Koba do have the pins.. and its not cheap. i brought along my ue's and told them i needed the pin they immediately grab a bundle for me.

alright, thanks for the info. guess I have to go down again to check it out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back