HELP!! disaster with radio shack's "tuner control" spray
Dec 6, 2002 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i have a sony dd9 walkman--top of the line, dolby b&c, full titanium case, dual quartz locked motors, etc. bottom line is, this walkman rocks, and sounds better than many home decks i've heard.

now the real sad and weepy part of my story:
since i bought it used the volume control has had static, i.e. it is dirty. i bought this spray from rat shack called "tuner control", which you spray into the dial contact to clean. i tested it on an old equalizer and it worked great. so i tried it on my dd9 walkman, and now the motor won't work. i think too much spray squirted in when i shot a split second squirt into the volume contacts.

anyway, does anyone have any advice on how i can fix this? can i take it apart and dry the motor? please help.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Compressed air (air-in-a-can) can be used to blow out the excess from the motor. You need to do this in as clean an area as possible so that you don't scratch the lens (I don't know the layout of this unit). You also want to make sure you blow from an angle that won't get the liquid on the lens or other areas. This liquid conducts electicity, so it may be grounding something that shouldn't be.

You can also use a q-tip (the cheap kind that are a tight weave and not "fluffy") will soak up some. If it still has an oily film, you can also dip the q-tip in alcohol, squeeze out the excess, and then wipe smears away (the alcohol will help it evaporate faster) - just don't smear it around more. Then go back over it with dry q-tips, again, trying not to smear, but pick up.

Good luck.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Have you only just done this red??

If so, allow the unit to 're-aclimatize' overnight... and try again, it sounds like the liquid has caused (a hopefully temporary) short somewhere in the player...

If its still the same after about 12 hours... I don't know
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 8
audio redneck,
i will try that. it is an analog walkman (tape). i've taken apart a lot of portables and i've never seen anything as complex as the inside of this thing.

duncan,
thanks, i was hoping that would happen, but it is still hurting. if it is just the liquid causing a short, then a thourough cleaning and drying might just do it. is that the only kind of damage liquid can do?

i feel like complaining to rat shack.

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 8
The spray could have damaged or dissolved components inside the unit. Some sprays will melt various materials. You have to be very very careful about that stuff.

As far as fixing it. I doubt if you can. If this is a cassette deck the clutches could have been ruined, or the rubber pucks dissolved.
You could try a soak in alcohol if you have already decided the unit is kaput. But this is drastic, and might do damage too.

Dec 11, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 8
thanks fred,
you may be right, i should have been more careful. even though i tested it first... be warned.

Dec 11, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
thanks fred,
you may be right, i should have been more careful. even though i tested it first... be warned.

I take it that your Walkman didn't return to its former state of glory then?
frown.gif

Oh well, gives you an excuse to get the WM-6DC
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 8
heh duncan, i already have the d6c little brother, the d3. it has a line out, but even the d3 line out + cha47 doesn't sound as good as the dd9 headphone out. maybe this weeked if i have time i'll try taking the dd9 completely apart. i'll probably need microsurgery tools to do it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back