Help diagnosing noisy/staticky Little Dot MkII
Apr 9, 2016 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hexalamb

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been having trouble with my Little Dot MkII that I bought a while ago. It's had the problem since I bought it, but I only recently started to try and use it again. 

Basically there is noise/static in the left channel. It isn't always there, and usually if I turn the power off and leave it for a minute or so, then turn it back on, the static will be gone for a while. Eventually it always comes back though, slowly creeping in. Sometimes it stays away for hours, sometimes only minutes. 

I'm wondering if this could be a problem with one of the tubes, which would make it an easy fix. I unfortunately don't have other tubes to try with it, and I'm hesitant to buy them without knowing it will solve the issue.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be wrong or how to diagnose the issue, I would be grateful for the help. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think it has anything to do with the temperature of the tubes, because I can leave it on for hours without the static happening sometimes. Could still be a tube issue though.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Try switching the tubes. Move the left ones to the right. If the static is now in the right channel it is definitely a tube issue. I have a lot of 6N6Ps so if that was the broken one I can send you a nice pair of gold grid ones for free. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, that's a good idea and I should have thought of it. Unfortunately, upon switching the tubes the static remained in the same channel. I guess this thing is just garbage? Thanks for the offer as well. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't think so. I can try moving It around, but I've had this problem in the same channel throughout a couple different configurations, and in different places in my house. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 8
It could be a loose connector, bad soldering join, or even an incorrectly values resistor.

If you are adventurous take a look inside for these things with the amp off and fully discharged of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back