Help Descifering What In The World You Guys Are Talking About?
Nov 6, 2002 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ryan0619

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to the board and Headphones in general and am having trouble figuring out what you guys are talking about?
confused.gif
What I'm looking for is the best head phones for listening to music, Watching movies, Gaming and stuff like that for under $100. I do want them to completley cover my ear though (I think you call it closed?). When I read the forum it really makes little sence because all I see are models numbers and nothing else.
biggrin.gif
It would very helpfull if you guys could help me out with at least the brand name of what you guys think are good under this price range. Thanks Alot!

Ryan

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
Sony V6/7506
biggrin.gif

thats the model no.
wink.gif

Is it under US$100??

I know it's about SGD226.. Hmmmz.... I was thinking of the Philips HP890.. SGD68 (US$39).. But the phones are massive! Almost 12cm across the pad.... LOL....

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Is it under US$100??

I know it's about SGD226.. Hmmmz.... I was thinking of the Philips HP890.. SGD68 (US$39).. But the phones are massive! Almost 12cm across the pad.... LOL....

I just sold off mine man..to bangraman. for 100US

but the V6s should be cheaper. about US$60+ i heard

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 25
First off closed means that the earcup (behind the driver) is closed. Open means the earcup is open, usually a grill of some sort covering it. Generally an open phone sounds more "airy" with a wider soundstage while a closed design sounds more closed in but generally has better bass. Also a closed design offers isolation from outside sounds as well as letting less sound leak out to the outside world

If your looking for a closed design that covers your ears for under $100 you might want to look at the Sennheiser HD280's.

Nov 6, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 25
Well I think I narrowed it down to either the Sony V6 or the Philips HP890. Unfourtanetley I can find very few dealers inside the US, There quite a few in the UK but I am not to sure about paying shipping to the US from there
frown.gif
If anyone knows of anyplace inside the US, Retail or Online Please let me know! Thanks!

Ryan

Nov 6, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 25
Hey I just saw the Sennheiser HD497, How are they compared to the Philips HP890 or the Sony V6? Any help is appreciated!!

Ryan
P.S. Just to let you know you guys are already having a bad effect on me, I am already wanting to just say the model numbers!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 25
Not sure why no one else has mentioned them, but try going to HeadRoom. I bought my headphones and amp from them (as did my roommate and most of his friends) and we've all been happy with the quality of the products and their service. I'm in the process of buying another pair of headphones for travel use and I'll be going back to HeadRoom for my needs.

HeadRoom's Buying Guide for "Cheap Headphones"

Types of Headphones

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 25
Headroom doesn't carry Sony headphones.

The Sennheiser HD497s are supposed to be pretty good, but they aren't closed headphones, so if closed is a requirement, they don't work.
Where are you in the US? If you're looking for local shops, we'd need to know where you are. If there are any DJ equipment stores in your town, they'll probably have the Sony V6, though I don't know about the Philips.
Also, do these headphones need to be portable at all? If you're using them on the go, the Sony V6 are a bit big for that.

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
Headroom doesn't carry Sony headphones.

Very true, but I think it would work out better in the long run if we answered his questions about the basics (closed vs open, etc), and determined his needs before we started doing a vendor search for any particular model.

Ryan, you mentioned that you wanted something that would cover your ear. Is that for comfort or isolation?

Open vs closed (or sealed) relates to isolation from the outside world.

Circumaural vs Supraaural:
The difference between headphones that fit around your ear and rest on your head (circumaural) and headphones that sit on your ear (supraaural).

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 25
Wow thanks for the great responce! I live in the US (MI) and I don't know of any DJ stores near me. No, these headphones do not need to be portable. I will generally use them on my computer. One of the main things I want is COMFORT! I usually wear them about 1-2 at a crack. I think what I would want would be circumaural? I like the idea of the Philips having those nice soft earpads! Are they really 12 cm across? How wide are the Sony's? Thanks!!!!

Ryan

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan0619
How wide are the Sony's? Thanks!!!!

Ryan

The Sony's are quite large, with the beyer pad modification they are extremely comfortable, i can easily wear them for over two hours without any fatigue. The beyer pad mod involves ordering replacement pads (VELOUR PADS) from beyerdynamic for their Dt250 model. They run for about $22 with shipping...their definitely worth the price if you go with the Sony's. I have a pretty big ass head and ears and the 7506 fit me just fine with the beyer pad mod. The V6's are the best bang for the buck for a closed headphone at its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back