Help!!! Decisions decisions: JVC HA-S500 vs CAL! vs Sony MDRZX700
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

estcstm3

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking for awhile.  I am having the hardest time purchasing my first pair of good cans.  I am having such a hard time based on how I will be using my headphones.  For the cans I have narrowed down I can get them all for $60 or less (some used).

Usage
1)  MP3 player and PC - must be able to be driven by these
2)  Wearing while walking the dog, sitting at my desk at work, and at the gym (lifting weights) - like the idea of not having a 10 ft cord 

Priorities
1) Comfort - I wear glasses so must be comfortable with glasses
2) Outside Isolation -  I really want cans that isolate outside noise so that I do not have to crank the volume up when outside.  I already have tinitus (ringing in the ears) and im on in my early 30's =(
3) Sound  - obvisouly I want great sound with my other two priorities meet

So far I have narrowed down my list which i can find for about $60 for all.

1) CAL! - Creative Aurvana Live!  $60 
2) JVC HA-S500 $58 ( read through the 313 page appreciation thread)
3) Sony MDRZX700  - $56
4) AKG K81DJ -$33

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

PLEASE HELP A NEW MEMBER OUT!!!!!

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 3
I am also thinking about the HAs500's because I like trying different budget headphones.  I have had the cheaper JVC HARX700's and loved them, I also have the $21 Monoprice dj style headphones and the sound unbelievable for the money.  I also tried a pair of 30 dollar Phillps that were ok

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 3
My S500's just came in today. I don't have experience with high-end headphones, but I'll say the SQ on these is pretty amazing. The bass is incredible. Really punchy and isn't all muffled. The highs are a little harsh. Not ear piercing, but bordering on shrill. I've been reading that the highs settle down after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back