Help Deciding on Headphones
Dec 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

abreviews

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of D2000's for Christmas and while I loved them, there were a few things that I wasn't fond of. The cord often got in my way, and bass made the headphones shake to the point where two parts of the headphone started making a "rattling" noise (which could have been fixed using tape, but I returned them to be safe)

I have a $250 budget, and that has to include shipping of the headphones. I listen to mostly hip-hop, and the headphones would stay mostly at home, but I need to be able to travel with them as well if need be. They also need to be powered by an iBasso T3 (I already have the amp, but getting a new one isn't out of the question)

My choices so far:

Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HFI-780
Denon D2000's (I could pick up another pair, but the cable is an issue and I don't know how the iBasso would compliment them)

If you guys could recommend a pair of headphones that suits my style of listening, it would be helpful because I'm really new to all of this.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 6
None of them are bad choices.

If you liked the D2000's, I would say keep them. They are a bit bass heavy, but if you liked that, then keep them.

I would think that the SRH840's and ESW9's would be bass light in comparison. I don't know about the ultrasone's.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of them are bad choices.

If you liked the D2000's, I would say keep them. They are a bit bass heavy, but if you liked that, then keep them.

I would think that the SRH840's and ESW9's would be bass light in comparison. I don't know about the ultrasone's.

I'm a bit of a basshead, so being a little bass heavy isn't a problem. The problem is the portability, cable, and sound leakage. They're not meant for traveling with... but due to money constraints I can't afford to buy 2 pairs of headphones right now. Also, I'm not sure how the T3 will work for them. It came in today and I have no idea how something that small could these full sized cans...

Another option would be to get full sized cans now, and buy ones more portable later. But I don't mind sacrificing some bass for an all-around option. So I guess the question I'm asking is...

Will the iBasso T3 power the D2000's to a noticeable difference? Would it power one of my other choices "better"? Should I lose $10 and just ship the T3 back?

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Sorry to double post but I'm also concerned about sound leakage. I don't mind minor sound leakage, but if they're used in a car or on a plane I wouldn't want everyone hearing what I'm listening to while they're at a reasonable volume. It's not a huge problem, but something that I need to think about and consider.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Look into the Audio Technica ESW9's - closed, excellent SQ, and they look great.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 6
How's the bass on the ESW9's? From the reviews I've read, they're very "laid back" and lack the bass that I'm looking for. The HFI 780s seem like a good choice, but I'm curious how they compare overall to the D2000's. The D2000's are also easier to drive, right? So they seem like the overall better choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back