Help! Deciding on earphone for classical $150-200
Dec 11, 2008 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gregory Stein

New Head-Fier
I need advice from earphone-knowledgeable people, and thought I'd find it hear. I would like nice earphones, 150-200 US dollars, for classical music. I listen to uncompressed files on a sony NWZ-A816 I have heard the ER-4p is good (from my other post), but was wondering if anything else was better in my price range. Input will be highly appreciated!

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 32
Beating the ER 4 in classical is hard in any price range at all. Go for it. The SA6 and Q-jays are good competitors all-around, but if your main focus is classical, the ER 4 is unbeatable in that price range and some would even prefer it over the UE11 and other highend phones for classical and other certain types of music.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 32
What the penguin said. Other than the SA6/Q-Jays (SA6 for customizability/replaceable cables, Q-Jays for comfort), the ER4P has no real rivals in the price range you're looking at, if you're only looking at classical. There are better all-around options (I like the Image X10 or SA6 for more all-around, X10 for warm sound, SA6 for cold/analytical sound), but if you really want to experience classical (especially without shelling out $1000), ER4P is the way to go.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 32
I find this discussion fascinating! I've searched for and read everything this forum mentions about jazz. What would you all think about those choices for jazz? I listen mostly to avant garde. I've never really considered the sleek audio but I just got the etymotic er6i and am enjoying the sound.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this discussion fascinating! I've searched for and read everything this forum mentions about jazz. What would you all think about those choices for jazz? I listen mostly to avant garde. I've never really considered the sleek audio but I just got the etymotic er6i and am enjoying the sound.

Ety phones are also good for jazz. Not godlike like they are for classical, but definitely better than most.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 32
I would suggest going down in budget and getting an ER6 or ER6i. These two models are great for classical and jazz. But you will disappointed if you are listening to funk, soul, hip-hop, rap or R&B. There are two main differences between the ER6 and ER6i. Firstly, the ER6i have lower resistance so they are easier to drive by portable mp3 players like Ipod. Secondly, the ER6i has a bit more bass.

Basically, I am in agreement with many other posts in this thread.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 32
This just came to my attention, but you may want to consider the Etymotic HF5. $99 on Amazon.com right now (Red only).

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Ruby): Electronics

It has the ER4 series driver inside, but is tuned to sound a little more natural than the ER4P/S, which will still make it killer for classical but won't rule it out for most other genres (except maybe hip hop and certain other "heavy bass" groups).

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 32
I really wonder if it would be worth it to sell my 4p and try out those hf5 ruby's.... I mostly just want to try the cable out I guess

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 32
At around twice the price as ER6, the ER4 isn't twice as good IMO but those HF5 @ $100 would be the best option I think.

Even so, the ER6 works very well for me with classical.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 32
I listen quite a lot of classical and I don't find the Etys that good when trying to get a grasp on orchestral works having real bass. They have a treble spike which for my taste spoils the natural timbre of acoustic instruments, and the too lean bass breaks the deal for me.
I find the X10 much more adequate, but for the opposite reason, having a bit rolled off treble, they could not be your cup of tea. Maybe the Sleeks, which I haven't tried, are the nice midground option suiting you.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen quite a lot of classical and I don't find the Etys that good when trying to get a grasp on orchestral works having real bass. They have a treble spike which for my taste spoils the natural timbre of acoustic instruments, and the too lean bass breaks the deal for me.
I find the X10 much more adequate, but for the opposite reason, having a bit rolled off treble, they could not be your cup of tea. Maybe the Sleeks, which I haven't tried, are the nice midground option suiting you.

I should have the Ety HF5 by Monday, so I should be able to compare the X10 to the HF5 to see which sounds better overall.

I'm also going to somehow figure out a way to compare the HF5 to an ER4P.

My real next order of business is to wait for a month or two for a really good deal on a pair of SA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back