Help deciding on a Portable Speaker
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DiPoet

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a Bluetooth portable speaker that's better than the Bose Soundlink Mini but in the same price point.  What I like about the Bose is the base, warm sound(or maybe full sound is the right word), vocal clarity and ability to fill up a bedroom. I find the JBL Flip and Charger to be loud but shallow sounding and lacking bass. Any thoughts on comparable products? I listen to a lot of reggae, hip hop, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I'm thinking of possibly upping my price range to the Sony SRSBTX500 if you guys think it would be worth it.

The speaker doesn't need to have Bluetooth capability, since I'll be plugging in my iPod Classic via an AUX cable to play the music, majority of the time. The Bluetooth feature was just a nice bonus for every now and then and wanting to hook it up to a tablet. The speaker will be used mostly in a dorm room. So if I can get better quality with a non-Bluetooth device, let me know.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Non-Bluetooth will generally be better quality SQ depending on source but that may or may not matter in your situation. Look at the UE Boombox (not the Mini Boombox with which I'm not familiar). Bluetooth and AUX IN. Bass is emphasized a bit but I think this can be good when ambient or background noise is evident. I was looking for a similar device and this is what I ended up with a few months back. May be more options now. Kinda came down to this or the Jawbone Jambox which had okay reviews as well. Since you're using an iPod there may also be dock options that meet your needs.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Check BestBuy they were selling UE Boombox[big one] for $99. The bass is a little boomy, but otherwise it is a nice full sounding speaker. you can always eq the bass down a touch.
it has aux in, And the bluetooth works great can pair with several devices simultaneously for rapid switching between devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back