Help deciding on a pair of high end headphones to listen to EDM music, rock, and some pop
Feb 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

devlinchang

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I've been lurking this forum for a few months now and I've finally decided to make a post. Been doing hours and hours of research and I still can't decide on a high end pair of headphones to get, all of them look absolutely amazing. Any help? Persuade me.
Criteria:
Budget- 1000$, give or take a couple hundred.
Music type- Most varieties of EDM (house, trance, DnB, etc.), rock, some pop
Willing to buy used.
If there's any more info needed, I'll be happy to answer.

Also, if possible, give a suggestion on a good DAC or amp to pair with the headphone recommendation. Also willing to spend a decent amount on this equipment. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 9
the audeze lcd-2 will be absolutely perfect for all the genres you listen to.

I listen to a good amount of dnb and electronic, and i can definitely say that the hd800 isn't satisfying for those genres. There's simply not enough sub bass to make dnb sound right.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 9
There are many threads dedicated foenthat question. As a basic guideline, you will want an amp that can provide a good amount of current. The cheapest one I can think of is the schiit magni/modi combo. It can output more than 1 watt into 32 ohms where most amps up to 300- ish is less than 1 watt.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 9
  Alright thanks, will keep that in mind.

Any other recommendations, would like a larger range of opinions.

you looking for closed or open cans? If open I'd second the LCD-2 as your likely best option. If your looking for closed cans, well, I'd save up some extra scratch for either the Denon AH-D1700s @ $1200 or the Fostex TH-900 @1500. 

For amps and dacs, it depends if your looking for a portable or home rig, I'm guessing your looking for a home desktop rig, right? And you stated your willing to spend a decent amount, you've got to quantify that. A decent amount for some is $500 others $1000 others $5000. The variety of high-end amps and dacs out their for selection necessitate some vague description of your price range. 

hope I have been/can continue to be of help.

regards,

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Sorry, I should've specified further. I am looking for an open pair, not looking to have a portable setup for outside use and I'll be using them in a quiet room 100% of the time. As for the amp/dac, yes I'm looking for a stationary desktop setup. The budget is the same I've set for the headphones, 1000$ for the both the amp and dac.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 9
  Sorry, I should've specified further. I am looking for an open pair, not looking to have a portable setup for outside use and I'll be using them in a quiet room 100% of the time. As for the amp/dac, yes I'm looking for a stationary desktop setup. The budget is the same I've set for the headphones, 1000$ for the both the amp and dac.

ok get the LCD2s for sure, those are the best open $1000 headphones. for a desktop DAC/AMP pair the Shiit Audio Lyr Amp ($450) with the Shiit Audio Bifrost DAC ($350). Bam, $2000 desktop rig that is reference class. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi guys new here. Just wanted OP to know I use a pair of Sennheisers HD555 with the Victor JVC SU-DH1 to listen to my music. It may not seem cheap at first but when you save up a little, it rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back