Help deciding on a good first set of headphones...
Jan 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scl2012

New Head-Fier
I've been doing some research today looking at purchasing some new headphones to use for a wide range of things (movies, music, games, etc.) My budget is a little limited but I've narrowed my field to a few choices. I'm looking at one of: the Sennheiser 448, Shure SRH440, and Koss Pro 4AAT. I'm kind of a beginner with this sort of thing, so I'd appreciate any insight you can offer on the subject. Many thanks.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I've been doing some research today looking at purchasing some new headphones to use for a wide range of things (movies, music, games, etc.) My budget is a little limited but I've narrowed my field to a few choices. I'm looking at one of: the Sennheiser 448, Shure SRH440, and Koss Pro 4AAT. I'm kind of a beginner with this sort of thing, so I'd appreciate any insight you can offer on the subject. Many thanks.

Not familiar with the Koss Pro 4AAT I'm afraid ~ Shure 440 will offer you a forward sounding punchy sound while
the Sennheiser 448 presents the sound a little further back. Depends on what you listen to but the 440 will sound
more dynamic and engaging, this could be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 8

For the price of the Senn HD448 ~ it might pay to see if someone is selling their HD598 second hand for
the same money ~ it's a better headphone.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

For the price of the Senn HD448 ~ it might pay to see if someone is selling their HD598 second hand for
the same money ~ it's a better headphone.

HD598 1+ if you can find them used...

Shure SRH440 sound great too..

What Genre do you listen to?

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 8
I was leaning towards closed. I had heard open sets leaked a lot of sound, which would be problematic dealing with my family at home or the other locations i might use them.

As music goes, I listen to a little of everything. Stuff like Johnny Cash, hip-hop mash-ups and soundtracks/scores depending on my mood. My goal was to find something with a decent sound through the whole spectrum.

I'll be sure to give the shure440 another look. thanks again.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 8
I was leaning towards closed. I had heard open sets leaked a lot of sound, which would be problematic dealing with my family at home or the other locations i might use them.

As music goes, I listen to a little of everything. Stuff like Johnny Cash, hip-hop mash-ups and soundtracks/scores depending on my mood. My goal was to find something with a decent sound through the whole spectrum.

I'll be sure to give the shure440 another look. thanks again.

Also consider the Ultrasone HFI580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back