Help deciding an upgrade - or is it an upgrade? AK100 MK1 to Pono or X5ii
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kenchar

100+ Head-Fier
The upgrade bug has bit and I am considering giving in.

First though I want to make sure it is an upgrade and not just spending money for nothing.

I am currently using an AK100 MK1 with IE800's  I like the sound but worry that I am missing something with the 22ohm impedence.

So with it being Christmas and all,  I am considering the PONO although the lack of Folder (Corrected from File.)  based playback is a bit of a concern.

The other consideration is the FIIO X5ii.  I was a little worried about the wheel until I got my son an X1 for Christmas and I really like it.

Previous to the AK100 I had a first gen X3 but I found the sound a bit muddy for my taste but loved the bass.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.  

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 6
[...]  
So with it being Christmas and all,  I am considering the PONO although the lack of file based playback is a bit of a concern.

[...]

I can't really help you with your basic question as I don't have enough experience with the AK and FiiO. 

However, to clarify.... what do you mean by "lack of file based playback?"  The way it works, the Pono only does file based playback.  So can you expand on what you meant?

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry...I meant Folder and not file.  I have a ton of EDM compilations and prefer to find my music by browsing by Folder.

My understanding is that the PONO does not do that.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 6
  Sorry...I meant Folder and not file.  I have a ton of EDM compilations and prefer to find my music by browsing by Folder.

My understanding is that the PONO does not do that.

Oh, I see.  You're right, you can't organize by folders.  I listen to a good deal of classical music and would love to organize by composer and era.  But, pretty much the only way to get this kind of organization on the Pono player is via playlists.  Not the same thing, but the only workaround I can see for this. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 6
The Pono's playlist functions about the same as a folder so I don't see a problem. 
Trance posted this in the Pono thread in post #4215 describing the difference in the electronics:
Ayre did all the analog audio parts including Dac>IV>LPF>Amp and Pono also uses Ayres Minimum Phase Filter, so Ayre are essentially responsible for Pono's sound. 
I love looking at the Pono's pcb, as far as I know it is the only dap with discrete stage of MELF's +Transistor's + High Capacitance Film Chip's, for dac lpf stage and voltage gain stage, the amp is discrete Class A (switches to AB for higher loads) with a discrete diamond buffer, 2,000uF of capacitance in power supply for the amp.
It's a thing of beauty. In all honesty it is a bargain to get Ayre's engineering at Pono's price point, makes other dap's look grossly overpriced for what you get imo.
Edited by T.R.A.N.C.E. - 10/5/15 at 6:02pm

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the info. 

I ended up ordering an AK Jr. and will give that a try.  Still considering ordering a PONO next time Frys has them for $200 with their special promo code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back