help cutting a hole
Oct 18, 2007 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
I want to cut out a hole in the Sony MDR-V150 ear cups and was wondering what the best dremel bit to use would be. I know getting a hole saw would be easier, but I prefer going the dremel route. Should I use discs to cut or those drill-like bits? The ear cups have a small dome shape so I was going to put the ear cup on the leveled side and screw a nail in the middle of the dome to hold it in place while I cut. Is there a better recommendation to holding it in place?

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 10
putting a screw thru the part to be removed sounds like it would work... I recommend cutting the hole slightly smaller and using a file to reach the final dimension you want. The dremel could make the hole too big in a heartbeat. Keep an eye on the speed of the dremel, too fast will melt the plastic and sometimes it will flow back together behing the cutting tool. also, if you hit the screw with the cutting tool it could come apart in a dangerous way... use your safety glasses.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 10
I've been doing a little extra searching on the net regarding the dremel tool and it looks like a few places recommend putting masking tape on the surface before cutting, but no mention of why... any clues?

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Forget the Dremel!

Use a cordless (or corded) drill with a Forstner bit. The Forstner bit has a point in the center that extends further than the outside cutting area. This point will guide the bit, and keep it from wandering. The cupped shape of the plastic shouldn't be a problem, but make sure the bit is very sharp, and set the drill at it's slowest setting. Just take your time and let the bit go at it's own pace, don't push your weight into it.

The bits come in all sizes, and it cuts a much smoother hole than a hole saw would.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 10
The only reason I did not want to go with the hole saw was that I'd have to shell out more cash for something that won't have much use for afterwards. While the Forstner bit looks like it would make what I need with ease it is another expense I don't need...

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Use a spade bit is much cheaper than hole saw or forstner bits.
I think you will be unhappy with the results of a dremel.
If a dremel is your only option use straight fluted cutter bit set very slow. Take your time let the bit cut the plastic not melt it. Use a compass or something round to scribe a good circle.
DRE_652.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back