Help connecting Pioneer SW-8 Subwoofer to Sony STR-DE697 Receiver
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thedoormat

New Head-Fier
I just bought a Pioneer SW-8 receiver from Newegg to go with my STR-DE697, after asking Pioneer's tech support and Sony's tech support if they would be compatible. I was told by both that it would, but I see that the STR has a monaural out and the SW-8 has 2-channel input. Now, what do I need to do to connect this? I'm assuming I should connect the receiver to line level since it is a powered subwoofer?

I tried connecting just the red cable (and then white) of the RCA to each channel on the subwoofer. I do get sound from the SW, but it is far too low even turned up all the way.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
TheDoormat

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 4
From p.3 of your SW-8 manual, item 6. Try connecting the subwoofer out on the back of your receiver to the left channel line level input on your sub.

Quote:
LINE IN – These inputs are an RCA type LFE/stereo/mono input. If you are connecting your subwoofer to
a pre-amp/processor with a LFE or Subwoofer pre-amp output, connect a single RCA cable to the LFE/
Left input. If you are connecting your subwoofer to a stereo pre-amp or processor, such as in a stereo
music system, use stereo RCA cables and connect to both the LFE/Left and Right inputs.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi Yage,

Firstly, thank you for responding.

I'm posting a link to the newegg website where there is an image of the back panel.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117402

Now, I connected a standard RCA cable from my receiver (which has a monaural output terminal) to both Line In's (on SW), individually. i.e. I used white of RCA on receiver to white of RCA to SW. First I tried the left channel and then the right. I don't see any difference in the volume connected either way. I then tried the red and yellow RCA cables. Same result.

My guess is, the RCA cable just won't cut it. If that is true, I'd like to get pointed in the right direction. However, if that is not the issue here, then I am at a complete loss.

Hope that clarifies somewhat my predicament here.

Thank you
TheDoormat
Quote:
From p.3 of your SW-8 manual, item 6. Try connecting the subwoofer out on the back of your receiver to the left channel line level input on your sub.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Did you try turning up the volume on the sub?

EDIT: Sorry, I saw in your original post you tried that. Maybe there's a setup option in your receiver to enable the output to the sub. See p.8 in your receiver manual. Then check your crossover frequency set on your sub. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back