Help Connecting Headphone amp to soundcard
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

drogba

New Head-Fier
hey guys got a very noob question here for ya's

i just bought a lehmann audio black cube linear headphone amp (pro version - which has the XLR connections) and i want to connect it to my soundcard (Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD).
The soundcard has the following outputs;

HDMI Output
HDMI Type A Plug: Output HD video and HD Audio to HDMI and HDCP compliant Digital TV or AV Receiver
Digital Output
RCA/TOSLINK Combo Jack: Can connect to external DAC, AV Receiver, and Decoder through a 75Ω Coaxial cable or optical mini cable. Can play S/PDIF Stereo PCM and Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS등 bit-stream content.
Headphone Output
3.5mm(1/8”) stereo mini-phone jack: Includes an independent Headphone amp and can activate at impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω headphone or earphone. Also, can be used, when configuring a Stereo system (not using the Analog I/O cable) as a Front Line Output.
Analog I/O Multi Connector
D-SUB 15 pin connector: Connect the Analog I/O cable bundled in this package and use it for Mic input, Line input and as an 8-channel line output Jack.

what are my options here guys? im clueless.

Any guidance would be awesome! thanks so much.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 2
The xlr plugs are used for balanced input, since your souncard does not have balanced output you would need to wire the xlr plugs in unbalanced mode. that usually means connecting the "live" signal wire to plus and the minus and ground to minus. There might be a better way of doing it but this is what i usually do.

I also have an rca to xlr cable which i guess you could buy somewhere.

Note, wiring the xlr's like this does not provide you with noise rejection that xlr cables are usually used for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back