Help Configuring a SuperMacro
Feb 1, 2005 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

walkman666

500+ Head-Fier
Hi o ye sages of the HP amplifier forum, and in particular, knowers of the SuperMacro. Can you please offer some SuperMacro configuration suggestions. For this purchase, and it will be the SM, there is no budget, but please no, "get the SR-71 instead" suggestions. The size and favorable reviews of the SM has one over the purchaser (which is a buddy of mine). Here's the situation:

Needs:
Improved sound for both at home with portability

Source:
iPod 4G 20gb

Current Headphones:
Shure e3
Audio-Technica A-900s

Future Headphone (1-2 months):
Sennheiser HD-650

I know the A-900s are low impedance, and easily driven without an amp, and the e3s don't necessarily need an amp either, but we tried the A-900s and the iPod with a porta cord mk II and the difference was significant. So, we want the headphone amp, and it's gonna be the SuperMacro.

Questions:
What opamps are suggested?
How many buffers?
Opamps, socketed or soldered? (I'm assuming socketed)
Any other suggestions (are greatly appreciated!)

In the spirit of this forum, I have successfully passed on this disease of buying everything I read about here and have infected a friend of mine with upgrade-itis. Being outta town, however, he does not have the time to create the post herein, so I'm gonna pen it, but I need some input.

thx, - walkman666

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 46
walkman,

I'm not sure if the following will be of any help, but I have just sent my Macro back to Xin - at his suggestion - and had my opamps changed from 627s to 227s. In addition, he removed one of the three buffers to increase the battery life.

Below are parts of two of his most recent emails (this pm, pst)

(1/31: 8:51pm) Recently I found the OPA228s sound really good in SM. Rich, bassy and
>> laid-back and more 3D image.

(1/2: noon) To me I
prefer the richness, background cleaness and image of 227 to anything else. I'll also remove the extra
buffers as the latest version SMs do not need more buffers and save
batteries.

Now, obviously there is a discrepancy between the 1/31 and 2/1 posts regarding the specific number of the opamp, but I'm sure the real number is one of these two.

So, you may want to consider the 227s/228s and 2 buffers if you care about battery life.

I hope this helps some....but wait for any more posts and reactions...of course, taht will probablt only add to your confusion!!!

I really support your choice of a Macro, although I have not compared it with an SR71, which has good press here too.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 46
thanks kiwirugby! Very helpful indeed. What motivated you to engage in a discussion with Xin that resulted in your sending the SM back (at his suggestion)? Did he cold-contact you with this suggestion? That would be wild customer service (!).

Xin did also suggest the 228s and 2x to my buddy, but we were wonderin' 'cos everyone loves the 627s or 637s. So, this is consistent, at least from Xin.

Any other suggestions from all others would be gladly taken...thanks!

- walkman666

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 46
walkman,

Glad to be of some help. It's interesting that Xin made the same suggestion to your friend. I think this is a new configuration for Xin, who is forever trying to improve his products! This has been a real source of frustration for some, but for me a sort of "hobby" to follow Xin's upgrades. Of course, this does mean mailing the amp back and forth (this is my third time since I first got the amp back in October!), and I can understand why this can be a pain...and an expense for postage.

I bought a SuperMini v.6 back in late 2003, then bought a SuperDual in 2004. So Xin and I have been emailing back and forth about amps for a bit. He usually gives me (as he does others) an idea of new products that he has in the works, so when he was designing and developing the Macro, he let me me know (others as well) and I have been questioning (emailing) him about different configurations for some time, even though I really have abolsutely no bloody idea what much of it means. I just keep asking for the best sound and options possible!!

So, just last week, he emailed me and suggested I send my Macro back for modifications, and hence the new opamps. So yes, in a sense, it was a cold call.

I am taking his description of the 227s at his word, and maybe I'll find them not as good as the 627s. If that's the case....back it goes!!!

He is very good about emailing and responding to posts on his website, so I would encourage you to email him or go to his website and ask questions.

For me, his customer service has been exemplary, but I know he can get busy and distracted.

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 46
walkman,

Whilst I was writing back to you, this email came from Xin. I had asked him if I owe him anything for the 227s.

No, I might own (owe) you, the opa227s (not 228, I found 227s sounded better)
are cheap. The removed buffers and opa627s are far more expensive.
That's what I meant "dont pay me anything now". Let's wait to see if
you'll stay with 227s or go back to 627s.

So, I'll have to listen and see what I hear. Then make a decision to send the Macro back or not!!

I'm so patient! Or stupid!!!!

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 46
I found the AD8610s a little too bright for the Grados. They paired up well with the HD600 though. After I mentioned the brightness to Xin, here's what he suggested -

"
For opamps and Grado, you may try the OPA228 or 227, they sound very
heavy, and very good. Right now I prefer its sound over any opamps I
have tried so far. It's not FET type, but more tube-alike than any FET
opamp I know of. I don't know how they sound in other amps, but at least
in SuperMacro they are extremely spectacular.
"

I wasted no time and shipped the amp back to Xin to have the sockets installed for free ($5 shipping). I found him to be a very easy guy to deal with and stand behind his product 100%. Now, I just can't wait to hear my Grados paired with the 228
orphsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 46
mountaingoat,

This makes me wonder if the 227s would pair well with less birght headphones. I have an AKG501, AKG271, and a DT880 which are not "bright", but not necessariyl "dull" either, if that's the right term. But I did switch from a Grado 125 to the DT880 becasue they were a bit too bright and sharp for me. Maybe I will get too much warmth!

Feb 2, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 46
tks again, kiwirugby. Interesting. It looks like my buddy has to determine if he wants the more expensive opa627s or the now recommended opa227s (or is it the 228s!?!). Xin suggested the opa228s to him today, yet suggested the 227s to you...today! Oy veh. So many opamps, I can see how things can get confusing.

Either way, it's nice to read that his service is so good, that his communications and patience so high, and that he has taken the initiative with you, to continuously offer to upgrade your SM, for free. It seems like the heart (and the mind) are surely in the right place.

My gut tells me that no matter what we go with, my buddy will be happy with the result. I am inclined to suggest to him that he take whatever configuraton Xin suggests, which seems to be a 2x buffer and the opa227/8. Cool, thanks.

Of course, other suggestions are still welcomed...
- walkman666

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 46
So amazing! I also got an email from XIN. He's very excited about the recent findings on OPA227/228, which has many unique advantages compared to other top OPAMPs like OPA637/627/AD8610. i. e., OPA227/228 has an open-loop gain of 160DB, close to an "ideal" OPAMP, while OPA637/627 only has 120DB. 227/228 also has lower input impedance which leads to much lower noise background. As we have known, SM with AD8610/627/637 already has very dark noise floor. However, SM with OPA227/228 has a music background extremely quiet and dark; as Xin put it, " I have never heard sound like this, that amazing and impressive". Besides, SM with 227 sounds much tube-like than other OPAMPs. I will get mine upgraded in a few days and can't wait.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
mountaingoat,

This makes me wonder if the 227s would pair well with less birght headphones. I have an AKG501, AKG271, and a DT880 which are not "bright", but not necessariyl "dull" either, if that's the right term. But I did switch from a Grado 125 to the DT880 becasue they were a bit too bright and sharp for me. Maybe I will get too much warmth!

I have never listened to the AKGs but my HD600 is pretty dark. I found it boring paired with the PCII except for classical music. For all others, I reach for the Grado. I am wondering about what the OPA228 will do to the HD600 as well. I will let you know once I get my amp back.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 46
I also have returned my Amp to Xin for upgrade POT and xin has replied to my email to day, about the greatness of 227:
"The 227 sounds thick, rich, bassy and laid-back image. More like tube than any opamps I've listened to so far (yes, more tubey than OPA627).
If you are still looking for better highs, I think 627 is more sparkling. AD8610 is very bright and has better middlerange, but OPA627 has better high end. Xin"

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 46
Hi guys,

I'm Walkman666's friend . . . I was being held captive in queue while my new account was being validated to post on this board. I woke up this morning and found that I was released from my imprisoned state. My posting days have begun . . . .
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all your input on my configuration. Obviously I'm a newbie and technical assistance is much needed with this effort. I didn't even know an OPAMP exisited until a few says ago!

I have almost made up my mind considering the set up (I think!) but have one more question . . . . . . for those of you that have/are/will be soon changed/changing from the 627 to the 227/228, can you tell me why based on your experience with the 627s? So far your rationale has been based Xins recommendation but you must feel that the 627 is missing something to even consider the switch. In reading previous posts, it seems that people just love the the sound of the 627/637s so I'm wondering why you are dissatisfied with them. Or are you just seeking a new nirvana?

Based on your feedback so far, it seems like I should get the 228s and change down the road if they don't fit my needs. Plus, I'll save money on the transaction taking this option!
tongue.gif
If anyone can convince me otherwise, please do . . . .

*A big thanks to Walkman666 for getting this thread started. Much appreciated. Let me tell ya, I cannot wait to get my new SM!

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 46
Well, MonkeyButt (and welcome!), it's looking as if a clear pattern is (here) hear: Xin is thinking the 227 (or is it the 228? I cannot get it straight) is even preferable to the 627s and is recommending them to new customers like yourself and to pre-existing customers. Based on what I have read, it seems unlikely that anyone's dissatisfied with their 627s, but consistent with the addictive nature of this hobby (and this blasted forum!) are very intrigued by Xin's endorsement (and unsolicited free "upgrade") to the 227/228. My gut tells me you ought to jump on this 227/228 configuration, too (and that saves you $, what a nice bonus), and with the new volume pot, you'll have the "cutting edge" SM (this month, at least, tee hee).

Glad you are activated here...nice avitar.

- walkman666

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 46
Walkman666, I just wanted to tell you that my portable setup consists of iRiver H120 + SuperMacro (627 OPAMP, Socketed for OpAmp Rolling, 2X Buffers, with the Large Caps) + Ety ER4Ps or A900's (A900s not portable.)

The 627 OPAMP fills in the A900's for exactly the sound I was hoping for, the highs are definately improved and cleared up, with a sparkling detailed clear
sound while the bass is expanded and impactful. The 627 definatly fits the
OPAMP for what I was after. That is why I do not think I will be sending back
my SuperMacro for upgrades, yet. I don't know how the 227/228 OPAMP
would make the A900's sound, since this opamp has been described as being
more laid back, rich and bassy -> but how are the highs effected?

People get the OPAMP that fits the sound you are after. There are plenty of posts explaining the sounds from the different OPAMPs.

I just realized that Xin was making the SuperMacros now available with the powerful 637 OPAMP (it was not available when I purchased my SM in october.) So I am more curious about the 637 OPAMP than the 227/228 right
now. The 637/627 Opamps are supposed to be expensive opamps, while the 227/228's are more affordable?

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 46
Thx rab10, good to know. Yes, the 227s/228s are a bit less. $50 I think. Sounds like you have good compliment to the A-900s with your opa627s. Me and my buddy both have the A-900s and love 'em, and while I use a gilmore lite at home, he'll be using his supermacro with his A-900s at home and then also using the SM for his Shure e3s on the road. The more laid back sound of the 227/8 could be nice for the A-900s with have the high's, but not so nice for the shure's which don't have the highs. It seems, from Xin's email messages to my bro, he is just floored by how the 227/8 opamps sound, overall, in the SM. Kinda like a "great, general recommendation," but then again, it's hard to go wrong with either the 627 or 637. I'll let MonkeyButt decide and chime in.

thx, man. - walkman666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back