[Help] Computer sound has become incredibly "low quality"
Dec 24, 2017 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hwood34

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests, anything that I play out of my speakers from my pc has gone from average sounding, to everything sounding like 128kb/s audio, really really awful. Just happened one day. My setup currently:

EVGA Z270 Stinger mobo
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro external sound card
Pioneer VSX 1015TX Receiver (connected through component cables)
Random assortment of older speakers
Definitive Technologies Prosub 600 (two of the four speakers run through it)

The thing that has me most confused is that since this problem started happening, I have changed most everything here. New motherboard, receiver, sound card. I've tried different cables, running all the speakers straight to the receiver, and playing music from my record player instead of my pc. At this point, I have completely run out of ideas.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 17
It happens playing from my pc and from my record player, so yes. What about the speakers? It just seems odd that all 4 speakers would fail in the same way at the same time, if that's what you mean.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 17
It happens playing from my pc and from my record player, so yes. What about the speakers? It just seems odd that all 4 speakers would fail in the same way at the same time, if that's what you mean.

My guess is some sort of DSP on the receiver - check the surround sound etc. options to make sure you're not listening to a surround signal via 2 channel and so on.

I was thinking DSP too but I saw he connected it to a record player so I eliminated that thinking it was only on PC. Good call with the receiver, I forgot those things had DSP on them.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 17
I guess, but then again the last receiver I had was a pretty basic Onkyo that didn't have any of these features. I have played around with the loudness/midnight feature, all the different EQ options it has, made sure dialog enhancement was off, etc. Nothing major really changes, unfortunately.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Youre running everything into your receivers AUX input via RCA?

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 17
And now my receiver is playing everything at normal speed, but at a slightly higher pitch. This is a nightmare world

Youre running everything into your receivers AUX input via RCA?
Yea, receiver RCA out, RCA to Aux converter, into sound card via aux. I tried just going RCA to RCA but it made it so I could only listen to music, wouldn't pick up dialogue or anything else.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 17
Well it's either your receiver or the speakers. Next step is to test the speakers on another amp. If they test OK, there's something not right with the receiver.

Well I've tested it on two different receivers, so I guess it has to be the speakers? I'm just confused as to how I'd be seeing the same problem across six different speakers of various types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back