Help: Comparison btwn A500/A700/A900 (no amp)
Jul 24, 2004 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bombboyer

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into a new set of 'phones for use primarily with my laptop and iPod, both without an amp. They must be closed and not leak sound.

I've been looking around this forum and Audiocubes, and the AudioTechnica A500/A700/A900 all look good. Unfortunately they're huge. Can someone also recommend a smaller (physically) pair of cans that sound almost as good? What are some of the differences between the 3 models? Which would you recommend to a relatively novice listener for use with the equipment above?

ATH-A900
ATH-A700
ATH-A500

Thanks all!

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 23
There is an A500 vs. A900 review in the Full Featured Reviews subforum and the A900 is just an improvment over the A500 (and those improvements will generally not be noticable unless you listen to high-end headphones all the time). The A700 are suppost to be different from either of those however I don't think anyone has taken the time to review them yet.

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bombboyer
I'm looking into a new set of 'phones for use primarily with my laptop and iPod, both without an amp. They must be closed and not leak sound.

I've been looking around this forum and Audiocubes, and the AudioTechnica A500/A700/A900 all look good. What are some of the differences between them? Which would you recommend to a relatively novice listener for use with the equipment above?

ATH-A900
ATH-A700
ATH-A500

Thanks all!

Are you after portability or home use, because these headphones are quite big?

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Are you after portability or home use, because these headphones are quite big?

Thats my only worry about the Audiotechnicas. They're mostly for home use, but I don't want to look like an idiot when I do take them out and about.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a smaller pair of phones that sound almost as good?

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Thats my only worry about the Audiotechnicas. They're mostly for home use, but I don't want to look like an idiot when I do take them out and about.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a smaller pair of phones that sound almost as good?

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 are supposed to be great for portable use, but they aren't circumaural. I haven't heard them but they are liked by a few people at head-fi. It is difficult to find headphones that would suit both home and portable use. You're probably better off getting some good (large?) home phones and something cheaper and smaller for mobile use. The Koss KSC35 & KSC50 & KSC55 are cheap portable headphones.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 23
So are you suggesting i look like a jerk with my hd595s ?
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

i use them mostly for portable .. and i was planning to get A500 for outside as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 23
Hehe I just cant understand how anyone would consider the A500/A900 for outdoor use especially in the summer (sweat). They do look great but they are massive.. then again I use nothing bigger than earbuds for outdoor use plus I live in New York City. Even though it has been safer over the years here where I live I am positive if I used them on a daily basis, one day someone would attempt to snatch them from me (maybe some fit high school kid who I wouldnt chase after lol). If not that then I would probably get stares from strangers every 3 blocks or so I walk down
blink.gif
. Seriously how would one even carry these for portable use without a backpack.. even then you might run the risk of damaging them.

Jul 24, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

I don't want to look like an idiot when I do take them out and about.

Why do you feel you'd be thought of as a fool? Put a big Sony sticker on it and everyone will think that you're an elitist. Just act snobbish.
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Put a big Sony sticker on it and everyone will think that you're an elitist. Just act snobbish.
biggrin.gif

Words to live by.
3000smile.gif

I have the A500s, and I am seriously considering taking them to our local festival concert next weekend (lancaster festival) for the hours before the concert waiting, because we have to get good lawn seats. Sure, I'll get a million looks and criticism from my family (bleh..), but who cares?!
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, I'll probably just take my HD202s (which will of course hurt after 20 minutes, but I figure that's how long they'll be on and off and such) on my Nomad MuVo. Actually, I don't wanna take my A500s, because they might get damaged...my precioussssss.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 23
The Ax00 shouldn't be used portably - they're not stable enough IMHO. They're for when you're sitting down. CD3000 are the same, but worse (for portable use I mean).

I 2nd what 3lisiv3 said - get some good home cans, and something else for portable. Sharp MD33 from audiocubes are meant to be pretty good and they're cheap.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 23
The A500s are huge? From the pic on audiocubes it seems like they would be the size of any other close can. Exactly how big (Are you guys also saying that they are heavy?) are they (Pic of the A500s on someone's head)?

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 23
I'll put it this way. A few times when I have had my A500's on my head my wife said I look like a Martian. It isn't so much that they are big, it's really that they are not made for portable use and they stick up from the head more than other headphones, particularly compared to headphones that are made for portable use.

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 23
ATH-AXXX series are HUGE headphones... it will make stuffs like SONY V600s look like babies...

and unless you enjoy being the centre of attention (in a ridiculous way) in public, i recommend you to keep them at home...
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 23
You've got to be kidding. They're that big? Why are they so huge? Could somebody post a pic of someone actually wearing the a500s, I'm really interested in how they really look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back