Help: ClarityOne W102 Headphones
Jul 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Head-fi,

I picked up a pair of the W102 over-ear headphones the other day based on the fact that I love the EB110 in-ears ClarityOne offers.

Luckily I got them on clearance, as IMO they are in no way shape or form worth the retail 179 CAD price they normally ask for. They claim the housings are aluminum....part of them is, while the rest is cheap plastic. The fabric cable suffers from terrible memory and no strain relief to speak of. They are exceptionally comfortable, although I had to add extra material to the headband to make them fit. My fault for having such a tiny noggin.

I can live with all that, but the sound is where I am confused. Out of the box they sounded alright. Lots of detail, decent treble....but they throw me off whenever I listen to them.

I'm not sure if they are defective, or they are supposed to be like this, but the mids on these are just out of wack. They again are detailed and sound decent, but feel like they are on another plain of existence compared to the remainder of the sound. Treble and bass physically feels like they are coming from a driver close to my ear, while mids feel like a separate driver is playing in the background.

Their bass presentation is also exceptionally weird. They are very light when it comes to audible bass, but sub-bass is just intense. I don't know how they did it, but your ears are pummeled by a deep rumbling sensation, you just don't hear any of it...

Maybe my hearing is shot, but I've never heard anything like these (and I've got 20+ IEMs and over/on ears to compare them to). I've let them 'burn in' for the last couple days, and that seems to have helped reign in the mids a bit but they still sound exceptionally weird. I went back to where I bought them to see if I could try an opened pair for comparison purposes, but that was a no-go.

Does anyone have a pair of these that could provide some feedback? I read they have a massive break-in period, but there is very little coverage of them overall, at least that I could find. There is one review here on Head-fi, but their experience seems to be nearly the exact opposite of mine. I trust Amazon reviews as much as I trust Apple to sell their products at a fair price....ie. not at all 
biggrin.gif

Help, suggestions, feedback, etc. appreciated!

- Scrambler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back