Help choosing some lower midrange IEMs
Aug 5, 2015 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Slaphead

500+ Head-Fier
The summer here is hot and that makes wearing either my HD25s or my Beyerdynamic DT1350s very uncomfortable.

I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser CX 5.00i IEMs hoping that they'd do until the weather cooled down, but I'm really not happy with the sound. The treble is scratchy, the midrange is recessed and sounds kind of "phasey", and the bass, while there, does sound rather artificial - basically the CX 5.00i sounds rather synthetic to my ear. Don't get me wrong, I think that they're on par for the money I paid and that anybody upgrading from stock earbuds would really enjoy them. However for me I find that they're a bit of a downgrade.

I've been through reviews on here and elsewhere, and I've narrowed down my choice to 3 potential options:-

1) Klipsch Image X11i - these are first on my list because I like the in-line remote of the CX 5.00i, although it's not essential.

2) HiFi Man RE-600 (The RE-400 is not available here)

3) Final Audio Heaven VI

From the reviews I think these would be a good compliment to my existing portable HPs. However If you guys think otherwise then chime in.

I don't really like IEMs, but needs must, and I'm prepared to pay some money to get the sound that I want, even though they'll only be used throughout the summer months.

The above list is also based on what is readily available here, but if you think of something else that's awesome then a trip across the border to Germany is not out of the question.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Edit - I forgot to add that the source will be either an iPod touch 5th gen or an iPhone 6, and I won't be messing around with external DACs and Amps,

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 2
I think we can hold off on the recommedations now (not that any were forthcoming). Funnily enough after some use the CX 5.00s seem to have lost their synthetic edge and are actually quite pleasant to listen to now.

I was never one to believe in burn in, but just maybe the burn in believers have a point. I originally thought it may be brain burn in, but comparisons with other headphones that I know intimately have shown that this is probably not the case.

They're actually quite musical and, dare I say it, relatively detailed for the price. Comparing them directly to my DT1350s they don't have quite the detail or the sub bass response, but nevertheless they seemed to be tuned for an enjoyable listen, which, quite frankly, is good enough for my purposes.

As I'll only need in ears for the hot summer days, I don't really see the need to pony up more cash for something better that'll probaby be used only around 50 days of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back