Help Choosing Portable Dongle or Amp for iPhone!
May 26, 2023 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

IvanE92

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there. I recently purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max and wanted to try to use it as a source with my U12T (108 dB/mW Sensitivity and 12.6 +1/-2 Ω Impedance… so, roughly 0.15V to hit 110dB per calculations).

AAP2s were cutting it for me, unfortunately. So I’ll be using FLAC files stored locally that were downloaded from Qobuz.

I have previous experience with higher-end DAPs and prefer a tube-like sound signature (e.g., warmth, overtones) over solid state/analytical sound. Don’t care about MQA. Prefer 4.4mm balanced. Don’t need line out.

Need something small and currently considering: S2, RU6, RU7, W4, and Go Bar. Believe those are the TOTL in that form factor. If there are others let me know! Mojo 2 looks too big - not sure.

Problem is, and this is where I need experienced advise, I was informed iPhone has issues where it limits how much current external device can draw. RU6 draws more power and W4 also has in-rush condition, both of which could cause issues with iPhone. Potentially the same for the RU7.

What would you pick given my use case?

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Can't give you an answer because I have the same question. I'll follow this thread. AFAIK the iPhone does have a power draw limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back