Help choosing no frills MP3 player
Oct 12, 2014 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nathanlgd

Head-Fier
As title really:- 
A good friend of ours is about to go off travelling for 3-4 years and as a leaving gift we are wanting to give her an MP3 player stocked up with music we've listened to together in the past. We don't have a budget as such but want to keep things cheap (bang for buck) and simple enough to use because she's no techno-pro :) 
I've had a Sansa clip in the past which was fine, my girl friend has also had a clip but she didn't get on with it and it didn't last her very long - a Sansa clip is along the lines we are thinking of but hoping there's a better alternative? 
Quick replys please guys, thank you! :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 13
No not really, just something on the cheaper end of things. No frills - bang for buck style :) Something like a Sansa clip but better if possible. I'd just buy a Sansa Clip but my girl friend who's going to be buying, doesn't want to go with a Sansa because she didn't get on with hers and it broke quite quickly.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 13
  No not really, just something on the cheaper end of things. No frills - bang for buck style :) Something like a Sansa clip but better if possible. I'd just buy a Sansa Clip but my girl friend who's going to be buying, doesn't want to go with a Sansa because she didn't get on with hers and it broke quite quickly.

Well, it would still help if you could specify your max budget.

I guess "no frills" disqualifies any iPod.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 13
Maybe a FiiO X1? That is about the best hi res player you can get for the price

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 13

I liked my Sansa Clip Zip, but switched over to the Sony E series (E465, E474) larger screen works better with my 50 year old eyes.
Sound seems just as good as my Clip Zip.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-E465BLK-Black-16-GB-Digital-Media-Player-FM-RADIO-MP3-VIDEO-/271632475240?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3f3e8ea468
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-E474-Red-8-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/281463706011?hash=item41888b519b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-E474K-Blue-MP3-8GB-Player-w-Active-Speaker-Dock-Free-Shipping-/231342924202?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item35dd1ce1aa

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 13
I noticed the FiiO x1 earlier - that would be perfect but it's a tad pricey for what we're wanting to spend. The lower end of the Sonys are looking like a good bet. What's the deal with all the versions of the Sony E series? I see quite a few models that all look the same?
Thanks for your help so far guys.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 13
  I noticed the FiiO x1 earlier - that would be perfect but it's a tad pricey for what we're wanting to spend. The lower end of the Sonys are looking like a good bet. What's the deal with all the versions of the Sony E series? I see quite a few models that all look the same?
Thanks for your help so far guys.

The 3 numbers after the E tell three things.
First number is series, second number is options, third number is memory.
My E465 has a 5 at the end, means 16GB of built in memory
My E474 has a 4 at the end, means 8GBs of built in memory
My E474 has a 7 in the middle, means more built in options, then the E465, which has the 6 in the middle.
Can't say exactly say what the difference is for the first number, both of mine have a 4, there are other E series the start with a 3.
Both the E465 and E474 have more then enough options and memory for my personal use.
It might be a good idea to order a few extra USB data cables for the E series, as the end of the cable that plugs into the bottom is propitiatory for the Sony E series.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181448445257?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 13
How about the Sansa Fuze (same internals as the Clip I believe)?  The colorfly C3's are great, but they cost $100.
DEAL ON COWON IAUDIO 9+ RIGHT NOW GET THEM QUICK!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-BOX-ITEM-iAUDIO-9-16GB-White-Portable-Multimedia-Player-/161398370052?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item259417af04
GOGOGO!!!!
EDIT:Shipping might take a while, 1-2 weeks.  >.<

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 13
The Clip Zip and Clip+ are really the only high capacity(capable of holding over 16GB of music using a micro SDHC card) high quality players under $100.
Sony players don't have a card slot, except for a new expensive model. A 16GB Sony player is around $90.

If your budget is under $100, and ideally under $50, the Clip+ and Clip Zip seem to be the only models that make sense to buy.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Ok - so what's the difference between these two? I think I'll talk her into either of these to be honest. We need to order soon! :) Thanks for the replys everyone. I think I'm going to be looking at a FiiO X1 for my-self :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 13
  Ok - so what's the difference between these two? I think I'll talk her into either of these to be honest. We need to order soon! :) Thanks for the replys everyone. I think I'm going to be looking at a FiiO X1 for my-self :)

2 months ago I was able to use a Fiio X1 for 10 days, it's a nice unit, can even play FLAC files and can use headphones or function like a line-output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back