Help Choosing New Headphones
Mar 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Infernologic

New Head-Fier
I have been looking around at headphones in the $80-150ish range for a while for future upgrades (currently I only have a pair of Shure SE110s), and I had come across a multitude of headphones that look to be nearly equivalent. I know many of the users here have a larger host of knowledge than I do regarding these subjects, so I decided to come to you.

I've been scouring the web for closed headphones (for isolation, as I'll be bringing these places) in this price range, and I've come across a few that look to be quite good:

Sennheiser HD280
Denon AHD1001K
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Grado SR80

I've heard very mixed reviews of Sony and Ultrasone phones, so I'm a bit wary of those, but any suggestions would be welcome too.

I have a wide range of music, and I'll listen to almost anything, and most of my collection is fairly high-quality [mostly 256-320 kbps mp3, with a little bit of FLAC]

Thanks to any who can help.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 46
I think you can find K271s in that price range. Enjoying every minute with them.

The ES7s are colored, like most other ATs.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 46
The HD 280s are very isolated, but when I tried them I didn't like the sound one bit, mainly because it lacked most things pertaining to bass.

Even if the ATs are coloured, some people like the sound of them. OP needs to get out and try out some cans and see what he likes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 46
Oh, and the big problem with California (Silicon Valley to San Francisco Area) is that there are very few, if any, stores that actually have a decent selection of headphones to try out. Most of the places I go to have a pair of Bose, Creative, or Sony phones, and boxes for Shure and every once in a while UE.

So, unless anyone knows a decent place to try these out, I'm going to have to stick with suggestions.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 46
And the problem with some of the Audio Technica designs (i.e. the 271s) is that they don't lend well to on the go listening due to the high top and heavy design I hear. Although, people do say they're comfortable.

But anyways, isolation, faithful reproduction of sound (as best as possible in this price range), comfort, and maybe appearance as a side category are my biggest concerns

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 46
The headphones that seem to have the most reviews are the HD280s and the Denon AHD101Ks, and people seem to love them or hate them. There are only a few reviews of the M50, and since all are overly positive, I'm a little cautious.

Oh, and whats the isolation like on the Denons?

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 46
After a bit of idle glancing, I've noticed a few more reviews for the M50s, and they seem to be more positive than negative, although that can be said for all of them.

Still torn and in need of audiophile assistance.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you can find K271s in that price range. Enjoying every minute with them.

The ES7s are colored, like most other ATs.

The ES7s are definitely colored, but they sound great if you like colored. I do.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 46
If you're mainly deciding between M50, HD280(Pro) or D1001, I think none of them is a bad choice.
If isolation is a must then HD280 are probably the best in this regard, but they might not be so comfortable (are for me, but a lot of people complain) due to the strong clamping.
The D1001 don't isolate so well, but their sound is arguably better than with the Senns (definitely more "fun"), though that's a subjective thing. A good compromise.
M50s I haven't heard, but they have a generally good reputation around here.
And what about the classic Sony MDR-V6 (7506)? Decent isolation and they sound fine (definitely more bass than the HD280 if that's what you're looking for).

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 46
Isolation isn't great for the Denons. You won't be using them on the subway. They're good enough in the isolation and leakage department for the library though. Just don't crank it. I'm currently using my D1001's in the library of my university and nobody seems to mind.

Seriously though, I love my Denons. Compared to my Senn HD415, these are clear as day. The HD415's have a bloated bass that kinda just blends everything together(although they still sound good. The bass is pleasant for jazz when the double bass isn't very loud.). These Denons have very good articulation and separation compared to those. System of a Down doesn't sound like a vomit of distortion.

They're very comfortable too. The pads are one of the softest things I've ever touched.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back