Help choosing my first (decent) over-ear headphones for home use (my first post!)
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

doraymon

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

For reasons I really fail to understand 
very_evil_smiley.gif
, my wife and neighbours are not always keen to listen to the fantastic sound delivered by my new Audiolab 8200DQ/P+ B&W CM9 HiFi system.
As such, I'm forced (and excited) to take my first step into the world of HiFi headphones, and I need your help.

here are some details to help you point me in the right direction:
- Where: I will use them 100% at home, in a quiet environment 
- What: I am quite eclectic, but I mainly like Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Electronic (Moby & similar) and Classical (mainly Opera).
- Amp: Audiolab 8200DQ (Pre-amp/DAC). Based on the answer of my local Audiolab support center, the 8200DQ will work well with headphones having impedance between 50 and 100 Ohm.
- Source: Mac mini connected via USB 2.0 to the Audiolab 8200DQ
- Track quality: many ALAC 16bit/44.1KHz (ripped from CDs) and many AAC 256kbps
- Budget: I would like to stay below 200/250 Euro for this first step

TARGET:
1) enjoy good music
2) learn how to distinguish and describe the differences in sound reproduction I ear with different setups and settings. I can tell what I like best, but I can't describe it. I need a pair of headphones that help me discern the different sound characteristics.

I am actually looking at the AKG 612 Pro which should match my needs, based on my actual (poor) understanding of the headphones world... but I ask your help to make a wise choice.

I hope I didn't write any typical newbie mistake/idiocy! 
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 33
Given you like opera and I like classical, you might be interested in my initial review (and request for help) on this post. The long and short of it is that I fell in love with the Sennheiser Momentums but can't bring myself to spend the money. There were 3 cheaper alternatives that you might want to consider too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695492/sennheiser-momentum-cheaper-alternative

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 33
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 33
I know it's more than you want to spend, but consider buying a very good open over ear model. You'll feel that you've made less of a compromise; it will give you a fair comparison; and it'll last for years.

Your amp rules out some models, such as Sennheiser HD6x0. For your music with its emphasis on smaller string ensembles, I would rule out K70x. The choices include Beyerdynamics DT880-32 ohms (and maybe DT990-32), and Hifiman HE400.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 33
The DT880 32Ohm could be an option.

The HE400 and AD900 are both almost twice my max budget... out of range.

Still I would like to consider the AKG K612 Pro, which are rated 120 Ohm, so a bit higher than the recommended value for my amp (between 50-100 Ohm).
I've been reading a lot about this lately, and I have the impression that impedance is not the only parameter to judge if the amp will drive the headphones properly...
Ideally I should borrow them and test them with my amp, but I don't see how at the moment.

Any thoughts on how to anticipate if the AKG 612 will fit my system?

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Well, having received no reply I decided to buy the AKG K612 Pro.

I would really appreciate some help in doing some tests. Is there any guide so that I can then post objective results for the benefit of all readers?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 33
Well, having received no reply I decided to buy the AKG K612 Pro.

I would really appreciate some help in doing some tests. Is there any guide so that I can then post objective results for the benefit of all readers?

Burn it in for a hundred hours, and try it with records you know well so you can easily notice the differences. Happy listening!

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 33
When you say 0dB, is that max volume for your amp?
So you're saying you can't get them loud enough?

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 33

sounds like it, you may want to look into an amp, such as the Fiio E11 which should sell for like $50 or so Euros, granted the price I posted is in US dollars, but the Fiio Amps usually sell for the same numerical Monetary value in each country 

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 33

Yes, 0db is almost the max volume of my amp. The point is, if I set this volume with the speakers, the sound I get is very loud!
I am just wondering if it's normal that I have to push it so hi. At 0db the headphones are loud enough, but, how can I say... No headroom.
Sorry guys, I'm quite a newbie with headphones as you might have understood...
Maybe it's just that I'm not used to listen through headphones.
I miss the effect of sound on the body that speakers give you... If you know what I mean.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 33
If you have turn the volume up to max just to get to acceptable listening volumes, that is a sign that you need some kind of amp. I'd recommend a CMOY amp, because I used one with an AKG Q701 and it had plenty of power. This was the JDS Labs CMOY version -- make sure to read reviews if you buy a different version, as there are many variations. 

Fiio amps are also quite popular. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back