Help Choosing Monitors
Nov 4, 2011 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

IzzyAxel

Head-Fier
I've decided to save up, and purchase a stereo or 2.1 studio monitor setup.  Only problem is...I don't know much about this industry. >___>  I know I want active speakers, no ditzing around with an external power amp.  I think I want bi-amped, from what I've read about the technology, and most importantly, something relatively uncolored and neutral.  This is as much for producing music as it is for listening to it, perhaps quite a bit more so, so this should be a primary concern.  My budget is $1300-1500 for the whole setup.  This should include isolation pads and cables, whatever else is needed.  I'd prefer $1300, but if the extra $200 creates a gaping void of a disparity between the suggested models, I'd definitely spring for it.  I prefer a fairly equal amount of all frequencies in my music, so if a subwoofer would throw neutrality/balance between the bass vs everything else out of wack, forget it.

I've browsed around on Guitar Center, Sweetwater and Sam Ash's sites and so far, I've seen a few that looked promising to my uneducated mind, but as always, I'd prefer to ask before buying.  So far I've looked at the Mackie HR824mk2 and the Adam Audio A7X.  A question about these listings, too, are they for single speakers or a pair?  It doesn't say in the description or name...  I've been assuming single, just to be safe.  And, as for connectors, I'd prefer RCA, because my soundcard has RCA out right on it and no extra interfaces should* be needed then.

* Or am I being an idiot?  I can't tell sometimes...

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I've decided to save up, and purchase a stereo or 2.1 studio monitor setup.  Only problem is...I don't know much about this industry. >___>  I know I want active speakers, no ditzing around with an external power amp.  I think I want bi-amped, from what I've read about the technology, and most importantly, something relatively uncolored and neutral.  This is as much for producing music as it is for listening to it, perhaps quite a bit more so, so this should be a primary concern.  My budget is $1300-1500 for the whole setup.  This should include isolation pads and cables, whatever else is needed.  I'd prefer $1300, but if the extra $200 creates a gaping void of a disparity between the suggested models, I'd definitely spring for it.  I prefer a fairly equal amount of all frequencies in my music, so if a subwoofer would throw neutrality/balance between the bass vs everything else out of wack, forget it.

I've browsed around on Guitar Center, Sweetwater and Sam Ash's sites and so far, I've seen a few that looked promising to my uneducated mind, but as always, I'd prefer to ask before buying.  So far I've looked at the Mackie HR824mk2 and the Adam Audio A7X.  A question about these listings, too, are they for single speakers or a pair?  It doesn't say in the description or name...  I've been assuming single, just to be safe.  And, as for connectors, I'd prefer RCA, because my soundcard has RCA out right on it and no extra interfaces should* be needed then.

* Or am I being an idiot?  I can't tell sometimes...

I can't really comment on "higher" end monitors, since I haven't heard many. I just wanted to comment and say you can get RCA to TRS or XLR, which is what I use for my monitors. No need for another interface. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
?  But isn't that pointless?  If you aren't going balanced all the way through there's no point in using an adapter to go from unbalanced to balanced, why not just plug the RCA in directly? :S

While it might seem pointless, it also doesn't limit your choices of monitors. Most of your high end monitors lack the RCA input you seek. So if you don't want to add an interface, as I didn't, I had to find common ground. RCA to XLR. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 14
All right, what about this?  If I assume these listings are pairs, then how about the Adam Audio P11A, with the ART USB Dual Pre two channel preamp/computer interface?  Are these things compatible?  I mean, can you hook a preamp into an active monitor and not have it like, blow up or something?  What I need is an interface to bridge from the computer to the balanced XLR inputs on the speakers.  If that's all the I/O it's got, I'd prefer to go balanced all the way through, rather than using an adapter.  And at $1150 a "pair", as assumed, this would settle in nicely with the $1300 budget.  Plus, I've heard nothing but advice to "grow up and get an Adam" on reviews for other brands' monitors, and high reviews on the Adams themselves.  Which would leave me incredulous anywhere else, but if everyone in this particular field likes it, that's usually a good sign.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Most higher end monitor sells individually. As for the Adam Audio P11A, I'm fairly sure when it was available, the listed price was for one monitor, not a pair. B&H has a pretty comprehensive list:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Studio-Monitors/ci/8617/N/4294550597

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 14
The Adam Audio ARTist 3 and 5 were both released earlier this year, so there really isn't that many reviews.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Unfortunately.  Also unfortunately, the ARTist 5 gives me the impression, due to the naming and styling, that it's glam over substance.  They're within $100 of each other though, so idk maybe it does perform just as well or better?

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 14
I have been in the same boat in the past where i wanted some monitor's for listening to music and also producing, the thing is it is very hard to combine those two. You see for producing you want something very revealing and actually unforgiving in essence super neutral. Now with great recordings and acoustics it will sound great but if either of those two is not up to par it can be unpleasant using that setup. On the top of my head i can think of two brands that could actually accomplish this and these are PMC or Focal with my personal choice being the Solo 6's from Focal and they have been accused of sounding too good but in the end they do translate well. However these are probably out of your price range but Focal has some more modestly priced models but i cannot comment on them since... well i haven't heard them. Thus i think the best solution for you is to just listen, maybe there's something second hand. Take your time there's allot to be found if you're willing to look.

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 14
Meeeeeh, well thing is, I rarely listen to any speakers as it is, and after getting the freakin LCD-2...pfff I don't expect to listen to these any time but during a mixdown session.  I just realized how stupid that term sounds...  But yeah I'm getting these really just for the ability to mix and master on speakers with a proper soundstage, and center channel, and all that, not for both pleasure listening and producing.  And I bounce between art and music a lot anyway, which is why I want fairly inexpensive, sort of midrange monitors, so I'm not constantly craving something better, but not so expensive that I feel it was a waste of money.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah in that case you certainly have more option's within your budget. Not sure if you have done anything or thought about acoustics in your room but i think for example $800 speakers with $500 worth of acoustics could sound better then just getting $1300 speakers. You should have a look over at http://www.gearslutz.com for some advice from the pro's. Good luck 
beyersmile.png

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm sure there are some well informed speaker audio types on Head-Fi.
But you might try the "avsforum" website.
Lots and lots of threads dedicated to audio speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back