Help choosing LARGE earcup cans under 350$ for big head and ears
Jun 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

reset

New Head-Fier
The amount of content is overwhelming on the forum, read a lot of guides but it is really hard to pin point the options when it comes to clear cup size dimensions, most of the reviews say they are comfy or roomier...but that's a subjective thing to say when the size numbers are not clear.

I am interested in full sized head phone that is as comfortable as possible, note that i wear them a minimum 4 hours at work and at least 6 hours at home because of wife and small child(don't want to disturb them in their sleep while banging some crazy dubstep or shooting in Battlefield).

Budget is around 350$ more or less. 

I listen to a lot of dubstep, dnb, idm, psy, occasionally ambiental and some heavy rock. I'm also a hardcore gamer so depth and spatially is important(microphone isn't important because i cant talk like a crazy hobo while wife is sleeping and also gets in the way laying in bed) and watch plenty of movies sitting in bed(this is important because there are some weird headphones that don't work properly when using them laid down).

Tried some old Technics then some Thomson's, various cheapish gaming headphones, have a pair for over 4 years now of Pioneer SE-M290(which i still use right now because of comfort, crappy sound, sometimes i fall asleep with them still on), last year bought a Pioneer HDJ-2000(good overall sound, way too small cups and head band, gonna sell em), and this week got a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP's(fun bass but too muffled mids, and really too small ear cups, going to sell them too).

So i am interested in a pair of full sized headphones to completely surround my ears that can deliver powerful punchy accurate fast bass that is able to go really low(most stuff around this price point don't seem to be bassy and have large deep cups at the same time), clear mids and highs. I can compromise some clarity for the full comfort, but not to be as muffled as the ridiculous bassy V-Moda LP's.

*Later edit: forgot to mention that i wear glasses all the time.

My head has the following dimensions:
- Distance between my ears is 21 centimeters(8.26 inches) head size;
- Earlobe is 7.3 centimeters(2.9 inches) in length, by 3.5 cm(1.4 inches) width, with a elevation from the head in it's peak of 2.2 cm(0.87 inches) and the distance between the center of the ear and top of the head of 15.5 cm(6.1 inches). Note that the left ear is slightly off center and is 1.4 cm(0.55 inches) higher than the right one.

To be more specific, i need a pair of solid build quality cans that have the following minimal inside(internal) ear cushion sizes:

Round cushions: Internal Diameter of 8 cm(3.15 inches) with a minimal depth of 2.5 cm(1 inch)

Or oval cushions:
- Internal Length: 8 cm(3.15 inches)
- Internal Width: 3.7-4 cm(1.6 inches)
- Depth: 2.5 cm(1 inch)

Head band should be really soft and distribute weight evenly without causing pressure points or hot spots.

In order to be able to listen at home I'm still stuck with my Pioneer SE-M290 standard lenght's not stretched are: distance between cups: 12.5 cm(4.9 inches), lenght/distance inside the oval ear pad of 7.2 cm (2.83 inches) and depth of the ear pads(not compressed on anything) is 2.2 cm(0.86 inches) and distance from elastic band to middle of the pad of 14 cm(5.5 inches). In other words it fit's like a glove.

Read about denons 2000, fidelio L1, sh's Momentum, hd555, DT770, mdr x500... but the cups and overall reviews put me into more confusion.
Note that the prices here in Romania are ridiculously different(a pair that is 300$ in US here costs the equivalent of 450-500$) and of course not all models are available.

Please help me find and buy what i need, I'm starting to get paranoid.

Thank you.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 21
You should stay away from the Momentums if you are looking at true over the ear headphones, although I think that my pair is comfortable, they might not be for somebody with larger ears. Have you looked into the Mad Dogs? 

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 21
Only way to get them is by ordering straight from the website so i can't test them if they fit. No details on the internal cup dimensions.
I would buy something that allows 15-30 day return policy as most of the internet shops that are available in Romania.
Comfort wise i think soft material like DT770 will suite me better but the softer the material the less bass extension...

Any other tips? Please include internal cup sizes as this is the most important thing i am after.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 21
No specific internal cup dimensions on the 550's (they seem roomie) and from what i understand they are not quite a bass head's wet dream, correct me if I am wrong. Will read/research more about it.  

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 21
No specific internal cup dimensions on the 550's (they seem roomie) and from what i understand they are not quite a bass head's wet dream, correct me if I am wrong. Will read/research more about it.  

You can find the dimension here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones

If AKG K550 fits on you nicely, the bass is actually quite strong! It offers the very unique deep-sub bass!

Billson :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 21
Thank you so much for the thread!
As i can see from post no12 the inner diameter is only 60mm (2.3 inches) I need 75 - 80mm.
So more searching to do ... 
size]

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 21
Thank you so much for the thread!
As i can see from post no12 the inner diameter is only 60mm (2.3 inches) I need 75 - 80mm.
So more searching to do ... 
size]

My ears in height, is about 70mm but it fits into most of the headphones in the thread but I do not know why is it <70mm...

Billson :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 21
The AKG 550s are enormous. In fact, I just couldn't get a good fit without squashing the thing to my ears. They are a fiddle. You want LARGE cans though, so they seem like a better experience for you. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 21
Yea, the k550's are the recommendation here. Please do burn them in for a week or two before you judge their SQ. Use constant pink noise at a highish volume. A lot of headphones don't benefit from burn in in my experience but the k550's do and it's clear to see as the highs mellow out a lot.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 21
Need at least one more pair suggestion.
I will have the money in 2-3 weeks after i sell the HDJ-2000(160$ is the highest offer i could find... so sad) and V-Moda(for 110$). In that time i hope i can find something that is confirmed to match my specific needs.

Thank you for the support so far, any other opinions are really wellcome

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 21
A DJ friend of mine gave me to test his pair of Technics RP-DH1200 that have round earpads. 
Their dimensions are:
Outer diameter: 95mm
Inner diameter: 52mm
Depth 8-9mm (the cushions are way too soft, they can be inflated using some stuffing but at no use considering the small inner diameter)

Experience so far comfort wise:
1. Hot spot at the top of the head, padding too small.
2. Biggest issue! The round 95mm diameter earpad presses on my jawbones.

Considering these factors i really belive the AKG k550 are not for me, they are 109mm in diameter and only 60mm inner. So those 109mm's will surely touch my jaw. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the thickness of the earpad it'self is not sufficient.

Therefore I'm looking for oval earpads, something like Sennheiser HD650, the
 Inner Height - 68mm and Inner - Inner Height (inside pads) - 88mm

seem close to my needs. Problem is they leak(opened dooh) so wife will beat me to death, they are way over my budget - 600$ in Romania(made some calculations... will have a max of 260$ during this period), the bass is not potent enough. Some reviewers say that the mid-upper bass is decent but the lower bass part(my sweet spot) is not that great. Also really worried about the clamping force people are complaining about.

With those thoughts in mind, please guide me to some products(Ex: HD598, HD380, HD280) that have the earpads similar to 650 shape/size. 

Thank you.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
A DJ friend of mine gave me to test his pair of Technics RP-DH1200 that have round earpads. 
Their dimensions are:
Outer diameter: 95mm
Inner diameter: 52mm
Depth 8-9mm (the cushions are way too soft, they can be inflated using some stuffing but at no use considering the small inner diameter)
Experience so far comfort wise:
1. Hot spot at the top of the head, padding too small.
2. Biggest issue! The round 95mm diameter earpad presses on my jawbones.
Considering these factors i really belive the AKG k550 are not for me, they are 109mm in diameter and only 60mm inner. So those 109mm's will surely touch my jaw. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the thickness of the earpad it'self is not sufficient.
Therefore I'm looking for oval earpads, something like Sennheiser HD650, the
seem close to my needs. Problem is they leak(opened dooh) so wife will beat me to death, they are way over my budget - 600$ in Romania(made some calculations... will have a max of 260$ during this period), the bass is not potent enough. Some reviewers say that the mid-upper bass is decent but the lower bass part(my sweet spot) is not that great. Also really worried about the clamping force people are complaining about.
With those thoughts in mind, please guide me to some products(Ex: HD598, HD380, HD280) that have the earpads similar to 650 shape/size. 

My Sennheiser HD558 fit nicely around my ears, I'm assuming the HD598s would be just as nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back