Help choosing headphones
Nov 1, 2016 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SpecR

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm in the process of finding some headphones. I would greatly appreciate some help/pointers on which cans to choose.

What I use today:

Steelseries Siberia V1 - I understand these are open/semi open cans? They certainly leak sound. I guess the sound quality i fair, but at least they are quite comfortable to use. However, the plastics are creaking like an old floor even when moving my head. It's time for them to go.

Asus Xonar Essence STX - Is this a decent soundcard/amp? I might consider buying an external unit like the E10K..

What I use it for:

Mostly gaming. I play single player games like Skyrim, Fallout, the Souls games, various space games and the like. Positioning and competitive headphones are not required. I would prefer immersion and fun. Also no need for a mic.

Some music. I guess its mostly rock and metal. I listen to bands like Machinae Supremacy, Saga, Against me!, Guns & Roses and so on. 

Headphones I'm considering:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 / 880 / 990, or Custom One Pro Plus - From what I can see the the 990s would be the best choice? They cost around $220.

Philips Fidelio X2 - I've read a lot of good things about these. Seems like a great all rounder. Costs $240.

AKG K712 Pro - Sounds like these are quite similar, if not better, than the X2. Costs $270.

Comfort is important to me, since I often use headphones for fairly long sessions. I'm going to visit some shops and I might be able to try the Beyers and the X2. Sadly no shops seem to have the AKGs so they will have to be bought online.

What are your thoughts? Which ones are the best deal? Are there any others I should consider? What would you choose?

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I think you have a pretty good list there. I would consider Sennheiser HD600's or something along those lines, I used to game with mine all the time. But they will require amping, so will those Beyers though.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 9
For fun factor in gaming the one I would recommend is the Fidelio X1 or X2,easy to drive and nice bass impact,but not so great for rock/metal as the mids are a bit too far recessed for my tastes.

AKGs have better mids,but need an amp and has little impact,esp when compared to the X1/X2.

The DT line is probably somewhere in the middle between the other two,but if your ears are sensitive to bright highs I would steer clear.

Most every headphone you might choose has some sort of trade off,thus thisis the reason why many members including myself own several different headphones.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I own both the DT770 Pro 80's and the DT880 Premium 250ohms ... I absolutely love both of these headphones.. IMHO the 990's have too much of the trebbles... OMG .. trebble.      I game frequently with both the 770's and 880's both are quite nice for this purpose the 770's do quite well for closed cans.

The 770's have more of the FUN sound thing going on V-shaped sound sig, while my 880's are rather more neutral.  Both headphones are very comfortable (with the Premiums being somewhat more so) which is a huge win for me because many headphones I can't wear for very long before they start bugging me but w/ the beyers I can wear them for some time without being bothered by the headphones.

As mentioned previous the beyers (especially the 880's need an amp).

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 9
  I own both the DT770 Pro 80's and the DT880 Premium 250ohms ... I absolutely love both of these headphones.. IMHO the 990's have too much of the trebbles... OMG .. trebble.     

interesting i found the treble on the DT770 250 ohm way worse than the 990 600 ohm,like....way worse.

Regardless neither is great for his musical tastes imo

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9

interesting i found the treble on the DT770 250 ohm way worse than the 990 600 ohm,like....way worse.

Regardless neither is great for his musical tastes imo

hmm.. I actually like my Pro 80's for metal.. in my experience the 80's are the way to go with the DT770's .. I think the 80ohm sound the best of the various options.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 9

hmm.. I actually like my Pro 80's for metal.. in my experience the 80's are the way to go with the DT770's .. I think the 80ohm sound the best of the various options.

I guess it depends upon on what ones definition of metal is.Neu-metal that has a lot of down tuning and bass then yeah I guess a V-shape would sound good.

Im old,like,really old...and i like NWOBHM bands like Maiden,Priest,Accept,Angel Witch,etc...no down tuning,lots of guitar,and recessed mids dont do that type justice.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Lots of good feedback. Thanks! I'm with you monsterzero. Thats exactly the type of music I prefer. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Priest, Whitesnake, Maiden, Metallica, Blue Oysert Cult. I really like guitar stuff. Sounds like the X2 might be a good choice for my gaming needs. Maybe I will get something else for music later. Maybe closed and more portable since I listen to music on the go and at work as well.

Didn't have much luck at the stores today. No one demoed any of the headsets i'm thinking about (might get to try the X2 later in the week). 

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 9
  Lots of good feedback. Thanks! I'm with you monsterzero. Thats exactly the type of music I prefer. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Priest, Whitesnake, Maiden, Metallica, Blue Oysert Cult. I really like guitar stuff. Sounds like the X2 might be a good choice for my gaming needs. Maybe I will get something else for music later. Maybe closed and more portable since I listen to music on the go and at work as well.

Didn't have much luck at the stores today. No one demoed any of the headsets i'm thinking about (might get to try the X2 later in the week). 

Yup,I like all those bands too,but to be clear the X1s or X2s arent going to impress you when you fire up Unleashed in the East or Kill em All.

If you look at my signature,the headphones I like for that type of music in semi order are HE-500>AKG K240 Sextett>Ath AD2000(not the X version)...I could live with any of those for guitar driven metal/rock....however none of those are a breeze to drive unfortunately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back