Help choosing headphones for computer. MDRHW700DS/Fidelio x2/PC 363
May 5, 2015 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JamesK852

New Head-Fier
I've just finish building my computer and need some headphones to go with it. It will be used for mostly music and games with the occasional movie I initially decided on the Fidelio x2 based on the reviews here but I can't figure out how to create a virtual surround through the soundcard on my motherboard (Realtek ACL1150) since it didn't come with a digital processor like the Astro/turtle beach/Sennheiser PC 363D I'm not entirely sure how to achieve this. Is there a software based solution? Which headphones are most suitable? The reviews of the Sony make me a little apprehensive but surround sound is fairly high on my list but worried I'll be disappointed for the price.

Any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks I'm advance

James

May 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 13

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
Razer Surround is a free to use program for that.

For not too much money, you could get a Xonar DG or DGX which has Dolby Headphone

May 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 13

Chancho2

Head-Fier
The ALC1150 can do virtual surround. Open up the realtek audio manager program. In the speaker configuration tab choose stereo then near the bottom check the headphone virtualization box. I don't use it so I don't know how well it works, I just know that it's there.

RAZR has some software that probably works beter, I think it's somewhere around $20.

Generally open cans will give you the best positional awareness as they have a wider soundstage. Some games are setup for headphones so you don't need virtualization as it's built into the game. I don't play a ton of fps games but when I play borderlands 2 I can tell where the sound is coming from great without virtualization.

May 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 13

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
You might get the X2s first, try them with your motherboard audio and the free Razer Surround and see what you think first.

May 6, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 13

Chancho2

Head-Fier
You might get the X2s first, try them with your motherboard audio and the free Razer Surround and see what you think first.

+1

The ALC1150 really is quite good. I couldn't tell any difference between the Sound Blaster Z and the ALC1150 with $300 headphones. The Z is louder and has better hardware based virtualization and it does come with a cool little mic that works pretty well. When I sold my comp and built a new one I didn't feel any need to get a soundcard.

The X2s are nice, I don't think you'll regret them. Other suggestions might be the Shure SRH1440 or the NAD HP50. Maybe order 2 of them to try out and send 1 back?

May 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking something along the lines of a sound blaster but worried it would be over kill for headphones. Would this be a reasonable alternative?

The SB-Z does come with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip, then the Xonar DG/DGX.
How much are you budgeting for the whole headphone/sound card audio setup?

May 8, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 13

JamesK852

New Head-Fier
Thanks for all the great replies and assitance guys. The most ideal situation would be to use the ACL1150 which came with my ASROCK m99x the only problem I see is that there does not seem to be any support for Dolby or DTS headphone support. From the Realtek HD Audio Manager App the only option I am given for headphones is Enable "Virtual Surround" which doesn't seem very convincing to me it will be any good. Since I do enjoy the good sound from movies I was considering the Sony's but seems pricey for what they are and worried I will loose out for music because of that I was leaning to the Fidelio's but I come back to the VSS problem. As for budget Purple Angel I haven't really thought about it basically if I think the device is worth it I would probably buy it but I would probably put a cap of around $700? But as I said if they are tested, proven with a good reputation and expected to last me a good long while I can justify the extra splurging.

Thanks again for all the help guys

James

May 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
  Thanks for all the great replies and assistance guys. The most ideal situation would be to use the ACL1150 which came with my ASROCK m99x the only problem I see is that there does not seem to be any support for Dolby or DTS headphone support. From the Realtek HD Audio Manager App the only option I am given for headphones is Enable "Virtual Surround" which doesn't seem very convincing to me it will be any good. Since I do enjoy the good sound from movies I was considering the Sony's but seems pricey for what they are and worried I will loose out for music because of that I was leaning to the Fidelio's but I come back to the VSS problem. As for budget Purple Angel I haven't really thought about it basically if I think the device is worth it I would probably buy it but I would probably put a cap of around $700? But as I said if they are tested, proven with a good reputation and expected to last me a good long while I can justify the extra splurging.

So your motherboard is the Asrock M99X Killer/3.1?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/index.us.asp
Looks like fairly good on-board audio, assuming it's has a half-way decent built in headphone amplifier.

For Blu-ray (and some DVD) movies I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra
For all other video I use K-Lite Media Player Classic (VLC is good too).

You can buy software packages ($29.99) from Creative Labs, that will work with the ALC1150.
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 (Not sure how good is works)
http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Guess for now get whatever headphones you want (Fidelio X2) and plug them straight into the motherboard.

Down the line you can always add a Sound Blaster Z and/or an external DAC/amp (plugged into the sound card's optical port)

For your motherboard it look like there is a BIOS update only about a month old and the latest versions of the drivers/software are dated April 2nd 2015.

May 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 13

Chancho2

Head-Fier
The virtual surround mode on the 1150 doesn't do much but the sound is still nice and clear which is what I like. I've got a USB sound card from creative that uses their SBX software and although it does a better with the positional the quality of it the sound is degraded quite a bit.

I agree that the Sony's would be pretty sweet for movies and games but probably not the best for music. The Asus Xonar DX, the SoundBlaster Z, or a used A/V receiver with Dolby headphone or Yamaha's silent cinema and are probably your best bang for the buck. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 13

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
The Xonar DX does not have a headphone amp. Not a good choice for using with headphones unless one buys a separate headphone amp to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread