Help choosing good pair of headphones. 200-350 $ range
Mar 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lopas1

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am searching for a good pair of headphones that i can use with both my laptop and my desktop computer.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598's, but i got a bit skeptical when i read that it didn't offer much bass. 
Don't get me wrong, i don't want too much, but i'd rather have to EQ it down, than up.

I was hoping I'd get away without an amp, but if it increases the sq by enough I'm willing to look into it.

I am completely blank on the head-fi subject, the only headset I've ever owned that wasn't "free" is a so-called gaming headset (Steelseries 7H)
and the sound is terrible, so I will probably be happy with whatever i choose, but I was hoping to get the most out of my money in the 200-350 $  range either way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I've got a pair of custom one pros that are really fun to listen to, especially as you can adjust the bass on the headphones themselves.

They're solid headphones, but if you want something a little more tame, maybe give the Shure SRH 840s a go? I've heard they sound really nice. 

AKG 545 are also worth a look, as well as the 550.

I've just bought a pair of HD8 DJ which I really, really like. If you can get them on a deal then I'd definitely consider them.

If you like a bit of bass, the M100 could also be worth looking at?

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 5
He-400 now at the new price of 299$, gives a lot of bang for your buck. Its designed to be used ampless, compared to dynamics with high impedance that sound dead without proper amping.
Ask brian at razordogaudio.com for a discount too.

Don't be put off by people who tell you the treble on it is hot, to them it might be shrill, but to you it might be the most exciting treble you've ever heard.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 5
The Grado SR325is.

Easily driven, great sounding headphones.
Not for everyone, but neither is anything else.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 5
If you are concerned about bass and want an open-back headphone, I recommend either the Sony MA900, or the Philips Fidelio X1.  Both are comfortable, easy to drive, and by no means bass-light.  The MA900 is more laid back, and the X1 is more energetic.  I would personally choose the X1 because it has more sub-bass and no treble roll-off, which fits better with my genre preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back