Help choosing full-sized circumaural multi-purpose headphones max 200$
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ogeid

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
this is my first message on the forum. First of all I would like to apologize for some miss-spells I could make, cause I am Italian. 
Then, my question:
I am looking for some full-sized circumaural headphones and my budget is about 150-180€ (200$).
I have already read some guides on the forum and other similar topics, but despite this I would like to explain to you my specific situation.

-I would use the headphones in my room where there is never much noise, so I don't need active noise-cancellation technologies or particular isolation.

-I definitely would like a full-sized circumaural type of headphones, but I really don't know if for me is better a closed or open type of them. Certainly I don't have the problem of disturbing other people with noise while using the headphones, so if I had to choose some headphones with consistent audio leakage it would not be a problem.

-Possibly I would avoid extremely big or heavy headphones. I think comfort is important.

-I will mostly (95%) use my headphones on my desktop computer without and amp and for these purposes: listening to music (mostly commercial and electronic), listening to university lessons recordings and very rarely for gaming (mostly FPS videogames). I would like a clear and sharp audio (especially for lessons recordings), but I also would like to have deep basses for listening to music.

-My PC has a Supreme FX X-Fi audio card but I don't exclude I will upgrade to a better one in the future

Which headphones model would you suggest to buy? Thank you so much!

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 21
The philips x1 will satisfy all your needs, but it's kinda more expensive than your budget (230 here in the usa). The sennheiser hd5xx are kinda bass light for electronic music.

There's the m50's but they're closed so it can be sweaty and they clamp tightly. don't know much else.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 21
SRH840 is warm sounding but still clear. The best all rounder. Although it's closed, it's a safer choice than the alternatives I'm thinking of:

HD558 but as b0000 points out, it's not big on the bass.

DT990 is clear enough and has bass. Some aren't displeased with the treble.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 21
The DT990 are closed or open? They look great but weight 580g! Isn't it a lot?

If, as you said, a closed solution is sweaty and tight I would go with an open one but I have never tried personally the difference between the two so I don't know. I would also avoid excessively heavy headphones, I mean...520g is more than half a kilogram :S

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 21
The DT990 are closed or open? They look great but weight 580g! Isn't it a lot?

If, as you said, a closed solution is sweaty and tight I would go with an open one but I have never tried personally the difference between the two so I don't know. I would also avoid excessively heavy headphones, I mean...520g is more than half a kilogram :S

It's open. I think you're mistaken about the weight. I'm finding 250-290g not counting the cable (depending on the version).

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 21
I checked it on Amazon but maybe it refers to the weight of the package. If you say they are the best multi-purpose and well made headphones for my budget I would go with them. They cost much less than for example the Philips x1

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 21
The philips x1 will satisfy all your needs, but it's kinda more expensive than your budget (230 here in the usa). The sennheiser hd5xx are kinda bass light for electronic music.

There's the m50's but they're closed so it can be sweaty and they clamp tightly. don't know much else.

+1 to the X1's.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm sure you could save up another 40-50 bucks.  I think it would be well worth it, IMO but i wish you the best of luck with your new purchase, regardless.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 21
I just tried my 990 Pros out of my phone and while I was able to max the volume and still listen it was a decent level, one I probably wouldn't want to go over very often. Not sure how that will compare to your soundcard, but at some point you might want to invest in some sort of amplification for them. I'd get the headphones first and see how they perform with your card before getting an amp. I also have the X1s and they are slightly easier to drive, though I can max the volume on those as well. I think I actually prefer my 990s, maybe... the X1s are still somewhat new to me. They are both quite good. I'd say the 990s are more comfortable.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 21
  After reading a lot of reviews and topics online I would go for the DT990, but I have one question: are they good on a pc even without an amp?

depends what version you get (32ohm, 250ohm, 600ohm).

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 21
Hey guys, finally I got some second hand Fidelio X1 at 140€ (192$). They were bought by the guy who sold them to me on november 2013 and they look like if they were new!
I have just tested them....just one word to define them: splendid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back