Help choosing first IEM
Apr 20, 2018 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Thundereagle

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have decided to jump into the IEM world and I have been reading up a lot on head-fi lately. However, I would need some expert advice on which IEM would best fit my purpose :)

A bit of background info to help with advice:
- Music genres: I mostly listen to (hard) rock, metal and jazz
- Usage: I would mostly use the IEM on very busy commutes with lots of noise, but I would also be happy to use them on long haul flights and inside my motorcycle helmet on (long) tours
- Budget: ca 300 USD
- Headphones used so far: ATH-M50 (unhappy with comfort)

So far, I considered, based on reviews or recommendation, the following IEM:
- Oriveti New Primacy
- Campfire Orion
- Campfire Comet
- FLC 8s
- Audio Genetic AG2
I am however open to other suggestions as well.

My findings:
I particularly like the fact that the FLC8s would allow me to have 2 different (or more) setups depending on the music genre I am listening to, but I am concerned about isolation as I read diverging opinions in reviews on head-fi. From what I read, another concern would be microphonics and finding/making an upgrade cable could be a real pain with 0.74mm connectors :/
Orion, I considered mostly because of isolation. AG2 seems to be un upgrade from there, but I couldn't find much info on it.
Comet I was recommended because of the internal vent (better bass, while keeping the isolation). Again I couldn't find much info on it
NP seems to have a decent isolation, despite the vent and a better sounds than e.g. the Orion.

I hope I can count on some solid advice from the audiophiles on here :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 12
in your list, i've only heard the flc8s. flc8s is interesting, its versatility is good, but after i upgraded, i realized that its sound is a little more limited than it actually seems. despite having so much tuning options, it will always be relatively bright and analytical. it doesn't become much warmer or darker through tuning. the bass filters have the biggest effect, bass quantity very apparently changes. the mids and highs filters don't really sound all that effective, they don't change the iem drastically, only slightly.

isolation is very meh, the included tips don't isolate well even with a good seal (rubber is too thin)

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Spend $50 more and get the ER4XR and never look back :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Campfire Orion
For CA Orion, you might need to fork out a little bit more money to get a copper cable to make it sound fuller and richer (Some extension at the bass too).

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
I really, really don't recommend using the Orions when riding a bike... I can barely hear my wife when she speaking loudly next to me... can't imagine it being safe when you're riding. They are great on the plane though.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for all your comments guys!
I looked into the er4xr, but I am a bit concerned with comfort for long term use. Looking at the design, I can't imagine I could wear them for sleeping, e.g. in the plane, or wear them under a helmet. Doing a bit more research I found out that Massdrop released their own IEM's (Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs), which have a base tuning similar to the Etymotic ER4SR and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor. Have any of you tried those as an alternative to the er4xr ? How's the isolation and comfort ?

@onevstheworld I have very sensitive ears and get easily ringing if I do not isolate my ears well from the outside noise (being at the club or on a bike). At the moment I use wax earplugs when riding my bike and with them plunged as deeply as I can in my ear canals, I am still wishing I could isolate more...

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all your comments guys!
I looked into the er4xr, but I am a bit concerned with comfort for long term use. Looking at the design, I can't imagine I could wear them for sleeping, e.g. in the plane, or wear them under a helmet. Doing a bit more research I found out that Massdrop released their own IEM's (Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs), which have a base tuning similar to the Etymotic ER4SR and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor. Have any of you tried those as an alternative to the er4xr ? How's the isolation and comfort ?

@onevstheworld I have very sensitive ears and get easily ringing if I do not isolate my ears well from the outside noise (being at the club or on a bike). At the moment I use wax earplugs when riding my bike and with them plunged as deeply as I can in my ear canals, I am still wishing I could isolate more...
If isolation is a priority, nothing will beat the deep insert of the Etys. The massdrop + did get some hype for a bit and was positively received. However, I have no experience with them so take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 12
So I have both the ER4XR and the Comet. I think I would recommend the Comet more for a starter IEM than the ER4XR. The ER is better for analytical listening and true appreciation of the details, rhythm, pace and timing. It gets a little tiring listening to it after 1-2 hours (but an amazing 1-2 hours of listening).

You have to think and pay attention to it while listening to it whereas with the Comets, you can stick them on, kick back, enjoy listening and do something else while listening to it.

It's also cheaper (by quite a bit) and much more comfortable to the ears. Isolation is fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back