Help choosing first AMP & DAC for House music.
Jul 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slytown

100+ Head-Fier
I like the ATH-A900s and I hear the bass is good, but I need help choosing the other stuff. I like the HA NG94/Little Dot MKII combo. Looking for desktop units and prefer a tube amp.

It's house music, so I'm focused on good presence with the kick drum. I'm looking to improve my monitoring. I'm a disco house producer and my Technics aren't good for studio use.

Thanks for any help.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 13
well i am using right now the benchmark da1 hdr w/ the denon d7000's... i must say that it sounds great for trance / house w/ this combo... i too, however, am in the market for a tube amp thou... i listen to a very wide range of music and i am not sure actually how a tube amp would fare with trance music, nevertheless i would love to know, as i am sure to be picking up a tube amp sometime in the near / quasi-near future...

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 13
The Shanling PH100 looks good too. I might go transistor. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 13
As far as inexpensive tube amplifiers go - I had a very good experience with the Little Dot MKIV SE.

I listen to basically nothing but electronic music - not a fan of disco house (sorry) but tubes bring EDM to life.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 13
If I get the NG94 and the Shanling PH100, will I have to bypass the amp in the NG94 to get the most out of my Shanling? Or will it not matter? It looks like all the DACs in my price range are DAC/amp combos.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Might I suggest you NOT get into tubes if you're mostly listening to low-end heavy bassy kinds of music and electronica ?
I do have some experience with tubes and they are great for lighter fare like jazz and classical and female vocal-oriented guitar-y music but not for crunchier / heavier sounds ...

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Corda Cantate.2 is probably in your price range. I had them for a couple month and they have punchy bass and very transparent. USB connection is also a plus.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might I suggest you NOT get into tubes if you're mostly listening to low-end heavy bassy kinds of music and electronica ?
I do have some experience with tubes and they are great for lighter fare like jazz and classical and female vocal-oriented guitar-y music but not for crunchier / heavier sounds ...

X2, I seriously recommend against getting a tube amp for bass heavy and warm electronic music and even moreso if you plan on using your D7000. Tubes are great for adding life/warmth to detailed and delicate, but perhaps a little thin sounding music with inefficient cans built for speed. D7000 are none of these things really. I recommend a nice SS amp for Denons; others might disagree. you could end up with a bowl of warm syrup, tasty for the first mouthful; but hard to finish a whole bowl

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 13
FWIW my MPX3 with a 5670 drive tube feeding a pair of 6BL7 sounds superb w/ the D2000/D5000. But as a norm I would normally suggest SS amp I have found that a few tube amps sound good w/ the Denons.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 13
I think I'm gonna go with the Audio GD Compass and the Shanling PH100. But do I really need the Shanling if I get the Compass, or is the Compass amp good enough to drive the A900s?

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back